2

Walking into a small town or village pub is always awkward. For a moment, everyone turns expecting to see a friend or relative, only to be greeted by a strangers face.
That moment of silence lasted longer than usual, the mix of faces almost seeming like they were glaring. I suppose since the tragedy of this small town, news had spread nationally and made them cautious and paranoid about any newcomers.

"Hi, love. What can I get ya?" The barman asked, leaning on the counter as I took a seat at the bar.

"Just a cider please." I began to dig out my change, hoping I had enough.

"Sure. First one is on the house. Pub rules." He said, pouring it before I had even looked up.

"Oh, no I can't." I began to build an argument, but before I could he pushed the glass towards me.

"House rules, love."

***

"So, you transferred here from Devon?" I was a few drinks in with two locals named Mark and Nigel, although he insisted I called him Nige, and I hadn't paid for a single drink. I had recognised Mark instantly, he was the father of the young boy that had died here. Of course, I didn't say anything, but as the drinks went down the sympathetic smiles started.

"Yeah, things just sucked there. I wanted change, you know?" Both of them laughed as it seemed relatable, Mark looking down for a moment.

"Yeah, I know that one." Mark sighed, downing his drink.

"Last orders lads." Steven, the landlord, rung a bell, making me realise just how much I'd had to drink, and how late it was.

"Oh, Jesus, I better get going. I've got my first day tomorrow." I jumped off the stool, stumbling a bit.

"You know your way back, Alice?" Nige asked, and I nodded.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine." Walking out of the pub, I saw the sign towards the harbour, a perfect opportunity to have a stroll across town. I was out late anyway, another half an hour or so in this quiet little town wouldn't make a difference.

The harbour water rose and fell with the tide, the few seagulls and ducks on the water rippling the otherwise clear water. Smiling, I started laughing all to myself, realising that this small little town was rather isolated. He would never find me here. I was safe.

"Bloody hell! Do you have any idea what time it is?" A man with a Scottish accent sounded , unusual around the south.

"Nope. And I don't care." I calmed down a bit, looking around to see a man dressed down in a shirt and suit trousers, a scruffy beard with swept messy hair.

"Well the rest of us do. Quieten down."

"Jesus, grumpy. I'm sorry." I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"Drinking in a public place is illegal, you know that, right?" He asked, walking towards me as I sat on the bench to my left.

"Good thing I'm not drinking then." I laughed, suddenly throwing myself forward, narrowly missing his shoes.

"Oh, god. Really?" His Scottish accent made him sound a lot more annoyed than he probably was. Well, that's what I told myself.

"Oops." I chuckled, shaking my head. "I need to get back to the Traders." I gagged again, feeling the man lift my arm up. "No, I can do it by myself." I stubbornly groaned, but he didn't let me go.

"Just let me bloody well help you." He wrapped his hand around my hip, an arm around his shoulders. "I haven't seen you around before." He commented as he walked me up the highstreet, sounding like he was struggling.

"I haven't been around before." I paused, looking at his heavy breathing. "I've got it." I said, managing to walk on my own two feet up the hill. "I said got it." I growled, feeling the man still walk behind me.

"And I said, let me help you. We don't want another body on the beach." I stopped for a moment at that, seeing the Traders with the porch light still on. "You have to go to the back door." He said, leading me to the back where he took me key and let me in.

"I can take it from here." I patted his chest, feeling a hard lump over his heart. He tried to carry me up a hill with a pacemaker?

"Oh no, you'll wander off." I screwed up my eyes.

"If you're flirting with me, no. I'm not interested." I chuckled, clenching my fists ready to hit him if he tried anything. I turned around and made my way up the stairs, starting to blab. "I'm drunk and I don't even know your name. Plus I've had enough of men for a life time. The only reason I'm here is because of one." I blurted out, reaching my room. Suddenly I felt myself become dizzy "I'm gonna throw up again." I said, holding my mouth. I heard him shuffle around with the door and pull me by my arm, turning the bathroom light on in time for me to throw up what little I had in my stomach into the toilet.
"Urgh." I groan, grabbing toilet paper to wipe my mouth before flushing, washing my hands and using the mouth wash to rinse out the taste of off alcohol.

"Broadchurch isn't a party place." He was just stood there in a long black coat, over his suit, which I didn't even realise he was wearing.

"I didn't drink that much." I retorted, chucking off my shoes and starting to undress. I grabbed my pyjamas from my bag, shutting the bathroom door to get changed. "Can I ask you a question?" I came out the bathroom in my long top, seeing the man instantly look away.

"I best be going back." He said, standing up and walking to the door.

"Fine then." I huffed, jumping into my bed before regretting it instantly. "Oh god." Running back to the bathroom I went to throw up again, collapsing onto the bathroom floor.

"Ok, I'm not leaving you like this." He said, sounding adamant, taking a seat on the floor and taking a breath, sighing.

"Will you make up your mind? Look I don't need your help. I look awful and I don't need anyone seeing me like this." I couldn't believe I was being like this, but I suppose that this is what I get for drinking too much. "I came here to get away, and here I am causing trouble already." I said, leaning back on the wall and closing my eyes.

"Don't fall asleep there, come on." He said, grabbing my hand and pulling me up. "Onto the bed."

"For a stranger out in the dark, you are rather... broody." I chuckled, being put to bed by the said stranger.

"And you are rather drunk." I closed my eyes, feeling the duvet go over me before a wallop.

"I'm not that kind of man."

"Makes a change." I spat, before realising what I had said.

"What was that?" He asked, and I opened my eyes to see him parked in the tub chair.

"You are not sitting in that chair all night staring at me." I mumbled, turning to see him sitting back.
"Just come next to me." I grunted, closing my eyes and feeling the bed shift slightly, a gruff sigh the last thing I heard before I drifted off to sleep.

My first night in Broadchurch, I had gotten completely smashed and was sleeping next to a stranger, a man that had helped me.
I don't think this town is going to be bad at all.