Chapter 2 - Broken

Katniss's Pov:

Gale takes both my mother and I home. We don't speak. Gale takes my hand and leads the way. When we reach home, he dishes up our dinner. I just sit in the dining table chair and cry silently. My mother and Gale pretend not to notice. Finally when he is finished he leaves without speaking except for a quiet

"Bye Katniss." Just as he shuts the frontdoor I run after him.

"Gale!" I call shutting the front-door behind me. He turns around and opens his arms and I run into them.

"They took her. She is gone. Prim. Prim! NO!" I cry into his chest. "She is scared Gale! She is really scared and I did nothing! I didn't save her! Prim! She is captured!" We go on like this for quite a while. Gale doesn't speak or complain, he just holds me tightly until I finally stop. My legs feel weak and my breathing is raspy and out of order. I colapse into his protective arms. He lifts me up and carries me back into our house. When we enter we can here my mother crying softly in the kitchen so he takes me to my bedroom. Gale sits me down on the edge of the bed craddling me in his arms as I cry softly.

"Its okay, its all going to be alright." He soothes as he lies me down and tucks me in my bed. "I'll see you later Catnip." He says kissing me on my cheek. But he doesn't leave, he just holds me until I fall asleep.

When I open my eyes I look to my side, expecting to see Prim but she is not there. It all comes rushing back to me. I try to move but I can't, I don't deserve to move or even cry. I've left her in the one place that scares her the most. The capitol. I hear my mother talking to someone outside my bedroom door.

"She is right where you left her." she states anxiously. The door opens and Gale steps inside.

"Hi." he says quietly as if he might scare me by speaking too loudly. I don't blame him. All those horrible things I called him yesterday when he pulled me away from Prim at the reaping. I know he was only looking out for me but I still burn with anger just thinking about it! I stop myself instantly.

"He is your bestfriend, your hunting partner." I remind myself. My cheeks burn with guilt for even second-guessing his motives for a second. Gale notices,

"Hmm?" he questions me. I look away. "You missed school." he says casually as if he was expecting me to. I nod indifferently but I honestly didn't realise it was so late, even though I wouldn't have gone anyway if I was given an option.

"Do you want to do something?" He questions me."Hunt?" I look into his grey eyes and only see concern.

"Mmm... I'm sorry about yesterday, all those awful things I called you. I just..." I say quickly not looking him in the eye. One single tear drifts down my cheek. "I... I'm.."

"Yeah?" He asks gently.

"I'm scared I'm going to lose her." I cry weakly into my knees. Gale takes my hand intwinding his in mine.

"I know, but there is and was nothing you could do." he says lightly pulling me into his arms, I don't object and let him hold me, this is what friends do and we're only friends, right?

"It's the capitol! They did this. It was them!" He says harshly looking in the distance, I know he is thinking of the capitol and I don't interupt. But I still can't let it go. She is gone and I did nothing to save her.

Note: The following paragraphs below are from Primrose's position inside the Justice Building after Katniss leaves.

Primrose's Pov:

I scream at the peacekeeper's pulling Katniss away from me but I am no match for there superiour strength. They shut the doors after them but I don't stop screaming. All my hate and anger towards the capitol I have tried so hard to conceal comes out! They took my Father, my Mother and now Katniss. For that I can never forgive them!

"No!! Katniss!! Stay!!! I'm scared! I'm going to die!!! NO!! KATNISS!!! I HATE THE CAPITOL!! I hate them! They've got me!!! Katniss..." I keep screaming, suddenly the door opens again. The baker slips in the room silently but I don't stop crying. The moment I see his face I realise who Peeta is. The baker's son. I curl up into a little ball and continue to cry.

"Here." Says the baker. I look up into his eyes and he hands me a small parcel. "Don't worry, you won't die. Katniss will find a way." he says softly, he sits next to me on the velvet couch and puts an arm around me. I flinch but don't push him off. I like the Baker, he always pays extra for my goat's cheese. Then thinking of Lady, my goat, all alone makes me cry more. I hope Katniss remembers to feed her. Then I just realise that I don't know the name of the baker. I stop crying and wipe my tears on the back of my hand.

"What is your name?" I ask him and blush at how dopey and ignorant I must sound.

"Allen." He says smiling sadly. I just stare at him remembering what he said earlier;

"Don't worry, you won't die. Katniss will find a way." Find a way? Find a way to what? I'm about to ask him when the door opens again and the peacekeepers escort him out. This time I don't scream, I don't even cry, I just sit on the couch and wait for the peacekeepers to take me away. Paralysed of thinking about Katniss because if I do I'll remeber I am never going to see her again.

I look at the small parcel in my hand. What could it possibly be? I carefully open the package holding a beautiful cupcake. But beautiful doesn't comprehend it's magnificence! Its like one of the cakes displayed in the bakery that we can never afford. On the top of the cupcake, shaped out of icing, is a pale pink rose dusted in glittery sugar catching the light, twinkling lightly. I smile at its splendor!

Please comment and vote. Plus, if you are reading any great fanfics please comment them below!! I would recommend Justice, the 4th hunger games book, the story after mockingjay by Smudge704! Its amazing!!!