Chapter 12 - You're brave

Hello, I'm back and ready to finally complete this book! I've been away for quite a while due to personal reasons but I can't ignore this! I just want to say that I'm really grateful of your patience and previous support! I hope you enjoy this chapter. It is set in Katniss's Pov from where we left off! xxx

Katniss's Pov;
We file into the Town Square with peacekeepers watching our every move. I fight to keep in tears that threaten to fall every time someone looks me in the eye. They all know, Prim's dead.
I can't believe it. How did I let this happen? Why didn't we run away in the woods like Gale said? How could I do this to her? Poor, sweet Prim who wouldn't hurt a fly! Tears sting my eyes. I see Gale standing next to his mother, Hazel, and walk over with my own mother right behind me.
"Hey Catnip." Gale says grimly folding me into a hug. When we pull away Hazel takes my hand and squeezes it.
"You're very brave," she whispers. I nod and wipe away tears. My mother and Hazel then talk in hushed voices. Then my mother starts to cry. I look away as Hazel hugs her and rubs her back like she is her child.
"Where are the kids?" I ask Gale.
"At school." He whispers and puts his arm around me.
"I thought the screening was mandatory?"
"It is, they're doing one at school."
Then the crowd goes quiet as a scream pierces the air followed by shouting. Gale takes my hand and together we rush towards the cause of the sound leaving our mothers. "What's going on?" I say over the noise.
"I don't know." Gale replies, "But it can't be good."

We push our way through crowds of people until we make it to the front. And finally we see the cause of the commotion, lying on the ground is a cold, dead body belonging to the Mayor. His wife lays across his chest shrieking in pain, tears rolling down her cheeks. Madge sits near his feet weeping rocking back and forth on her heels. Gale looks at me like he is asking "What should we do?".

I bite my lip and walk over to Madge just as peacekeepers break through the crowd and pull Madge's hysterical mother off the ground roughly. She breaks free and falls across her husband again this time screaming louder but the peacekeepers take no notice and grab her as she still struggles. One of them throws her over his shoulder and herds her out. Then they shove the mayors body into a bag, Madge cries out and reaches for her father's body but the peacekeepers push her away harshly. I pull her off the ground and away from the peacekeepers before they can take her away too. I wrap her in a hug and rub her back.
"It's going to be okay. You're brave." I whisper. As I say this it reminds of what I said to Prim in the Justice building but things weren't okay and they definitely aren't now - they're worse.

I know this chapter is short but I've decided that is what I'm going to do now. I will post as many times a week I can, 3-5, instead of trying to complete lengthy chapters and losing interest to write and ending up publishing nothing at all! But what do you think? I hope you enjoyed the chapter!
Don't forget to vote and comment your opinion, I'd love to hear from you! xx