Chapter 1 - Already dead

Primrose's Pov:

People say that a long time ago there was no such thing as 'The Hunger Games' or the Capitol and there cruel ways. They say that people were happy and good to each other. But not only that, the government looked out for its people - it was the pumping heart of the society. But if the Capitol really is our heart then what President Snow says isn't true. People can survive without a heart, we are. But maybe that's because we are tough, I may not be but I don't count because I've got Katniss. Katniss is tough - she survives everyday, just like the rest of Panem, knowing that any day they could die a cruel death caused by the Capitol. But today is my turn, if I am chosen in the reaping - I will die. I feel tears gathering ready to fall, but I remember what Katniss told me and force myself not to cry. I must be brave, like Katniss.

"I'm safe. I'm safe. I am safe." I tell myself. Suddenly Effie Trinket takes the stage in another ridiculous outfit.

"Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favour!" she squeals in her silly capitol accent. "Ladies first" she says as she makes her way to the glass ball. How many times is Katniss entered? I don't know, she wouldn't tell me. It must be bad.

"Katniss is safe. Katniss is safe. Katniss is safe. Katniss is safe. Safe." I keep telling myself that I nearly miss Effie announce the girl tribute...

Katniss's Pov:

"Primrose Everdeen." says Effie Trinket throwing the word out of her mouth as if it doesn't mean anything to her because it doesn't but it means so much to me. Prim. Then I hear a long high-pitched scream. It rings in my ears, then I realise its me who is screaming. I try to stop but I can't. I try closing my mouth but my jaw locks. It feels like my mouth is being filled with sawdust but that doesn't stop the screaming. It feels like I've lost control of my body. I see Prim walking down the path to the stage.

"Prim!" I scream and start running towards her. Almost immiediatly she turns and starts running towards me. Then I realise, there is nothing I can do to help her out of the deep hole she is in, created so flawlessly by the capitol.

"Prim!" I scream again and hug her closely. I can feel the tears falling down her face wetting my mother's dress but I don't care.

"It's okay." I whisper, but we both no its far from okay. I feel some-one pulling me away from Prim.

"No!!" I say sternly trying not to raise my voice.

"Catnip." says some-one, immiediatly I know its Gale.

"Katniss don't leave me, please." Pleads Prim tears still flowing down her cheeks. I then feel another person's hands grab me and tug me away from Prim, a peacekeeper.

"NO!!!!" screams Prim. The startled peacekeeper drops me and I run towards her pushing off the peacekeepers from my little sister. I hug her tightly.

"Its okay, I've got you." I whisper to her. Once again someone pulls me away from Prim.

"Katniss!" says Gale. Gale is lot stronger than I am, but I thrash and shout the worst insults I can think of at him. But he just tosses me over his shoulder and carries me towards our mother. I see Prim being pulled away by the peacekeepers screaming my name but they just ignore her and push her fragile body on to the stage.

Primrose's Pov:

The peacekeepers push me on stage and suddenly I realise, there is nothing I can do now - I'm as good as dead. I stop pushing and shouting and walk over to Effie. She stands me on her left side and puts an arm around me like I might run away any second. But the only arms I want to hold me are Katniss's. I see Gale with Katniss over his shoulder walking through the crowd towards our mother. Katniss howls and screams.

"Katniss is safe." I repeat in my mind. "Katniss is safe. Katniss is safe." Tears fall down my cheeks but I don't wipe them away. I don't care what I look like, whether I appear weak and will not recieve sponsors. My heart beats inside my chest like gunshots.

"Okay." says Effie unsure of how to act about the events that had just occured.

"Now for the boys!" She walks over to glass bowl with the boys name's and reaches her hand in the bowl.

"Peeta Mellark!" she reads off the slip of paper.

Peeta Mellark. I search my mind for anyone with the name Peeta but find nothing. But the moment I see him I know I'm in trouble. Strong build - he obviously isn't from the seam, and just by looking at him you can tell he will be a strong contender in the games. He silently walks up the steps to the stage trying to hide his fear. He looks me in the eye and frowns sadly. I quickly look away and wipe my tears from my cheeks.

"Be brave." I hear Katniss tell me in my head.

"Shake hands." says Effie Trinket. Peeta takes my hand and shakes it solemly but I can't look at him. He could be the one to kill me, so I stare into the distance trying to find Katniss in the crowd. I spot her in Gale's arms silently sobbing. At the sight of Katniss crying I can't help but cry too. Luckily at that moment we are taken into the justice building - away from the crowd. I avoid looking at Peeta as I'm taken to a room where I am meant to say goodbye to my loved ones. By the time I reach the luxurious room I am screaming and crying like a maniac! The peacekeepers act like this is perfectly normal and shut the door behind them.

The moment the door closes it opens immiediatly. I stop crying and wipe my eyes, and there before me stands my two best friends, Tabatha and Gracie. They rush over to me.

"Prim." they coo wrappping me in a group-hug. We stay like this for a little while. I silently weep as they whisper comfort and rub my back.

"We love you." whispers Gracie.

"This isn't a goodbye but a, 'see you later'." says Tabatha brightly as she wipes away her tears.

"Yeah, you're going to be okay!" Gracie informs me. "You're brave, fast and clever."

"Maybe..." I say unsurely. They must know in there hearts I'm not going to survive. Then the door opens and peacekeepers herd them out. I cry and scream and shout!

"I hate you! You horrid Capitol! You're selfish, dangerous, killing, ugly... I hate you!" Then the door opens again and Katniss hurries in.

"PRIM!" she calls as I race into her arms.

"I'm going to die. I'm going to die. I'll never see you again! Katniss don't leave me! I'm scared. I'm really, really scared. I can't survive. I'm not like you. I'm not brave - I'm scared!!!" I cry.

"I know you're scared, but you will survive! I'm not going to let you die, okay?" she says soothingly but I don't answer, I just continue crying in Katniss's arms. After a while Katiss releases me and holds me at arms length.

"You will survive. Listen to your mentor and train hard. You can gather berries, herbs, sprouts and roots like I taught you..." she tells me.

"But what if it isn't the woods? What if the arena is... Anyway, the woods frighten me Katniss!"

"You're brave remeber! Plus, sponsors will be bending over backwards to sposor you little duck!" She coos I then feel another arm around me.

"Mum." I say hugging her tightly.

"Its okay." My mother whispers. Then the door opens and peacekeepers herd our mother out but I won't let go of Katniss.

Katniss Pov:

"Katniss! No! Don't leave Katniss! No! I'm SCARED!" Prim screams.

"No I'm not leaving, I'm here. Its okay. You're safe." I soothe as I struggle out of the peacekeepers grasp holding on tightly to Prim's hand. But eventually they pull me back out of the room and shut the door swiftly afterwards.

"No!! Katniss!! Stay!!! I'm scared! I'm going to die!!! NO!! KATNISS!!! I HATE THE CAPITOL!! I hate them! They've got me!!! Katniss..." I hear Prim scream, banging on the door. Fragile, sweet little Prim. The peacekeepers push me along, I cry and cry not caring what people think of me anymore. Prim. Prim. Prim.

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter? Don't forget to comment and vote! I'd love to hear your thoughts! xxx