Chapter 15 - Forgive me

Katniss's Pov;

"I need to kill Peeta Mellark." I whisper and my mothers flinches. I expect her to persuade me not to do it but she just whispers,
"If that's what you need."

**********

My mother and I are sitting at the table the next day when Gale comes rushing in through the front door. A worried expression on his face. "They're here," he announces. "The peacekeepers, they're coming for you." My mother lets out a low breath. I run up to Gale and he pulls me into a hug. Tears creep down my cheeks and Gale wipes them away. "You can do this." He whispers and I give him a determined smile.
The last smile I'll ever give him.

I feel a hand on my back and I turn around to face my mother. "Just try and come home." She sobs, hugging me tight. "Please, Katniss." I open my mouth to answer but my mother cuts in. "Don't say you can't because you can." I look at her shocked at what she is saying but she doesn't back down.
"Why are you so sure I'm going to make it anyway? I might not even have a choice!"
"Katniss, you know how to hunt!"
"Animals, Mum, not humans!"
"Just try, okay?"
"What do you want me to do Mum?" I shout. "To come home to an entire district of hatred towards me! If I kill him it's not going to go down well."
"Exactly my point. Do you really think people are happy about Peeta killing her?" She responds calmly. "No! They hate him nearly as much as you do."
"What?"
"It's true, Katniss." Gale whispers. "They hate him." Gale's words sink into my mind. Maybe I can come home.
"Please, just try Katniss." My mother pleads.
"It's your choice." He whispers.
About ten peacekeepers come, banging on the front door and herding me out like I'm a wild animal. They form a formation around me like I might dare runaway, do they really think I'm that stupid? I put on a brave face and hold my head up high. As we walk through the streets of the seam people start coming out of their houses, watching me. They smile smiles of sadness, sorrow and courage, making walking to my death a lot easier - more purposeful. Then they press three fingers to their lips and do the district 12 salute and I fight to keep back the tears that sting the back of my eyes.
"For Prim." I call out to the crowds and repeat their gesture. I spot Gale in amongst his family and he nods, mouthing;

"For you."

When we reach the train one of the peacekeepers follow me inside and brings me to my room. He nods at me to go inside, shuts the door behind him and locks it. The heavy clunk of his footsteps getting quieter and further away from me as I walk up to the door and twist the knob to check if he actually did lock it. Why would he do that? Are they scared I'm going to escape? What brought that on? Nothing has ever happened to the tributes before. Not that I know of.

I lye down on the bed and take a deep breath. What am I going to do? Can the district really forgive me like I'm told to believe? Can I forgive me?

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it! A lot of drama is going on right now in the story and if your wondering if I feel bad about it, I don't! *evil laugh* Well, maybe just a little for Peeta. Anyway, please don't forget to comment and vote as it makes everything worthwhile! xx