Chapter 13 - Cruel twist of fate

Katniss's Pov;
I used to believe that everything happens for a reason, that was before my Dad died and I lost my Mother at the same time. At eleven years old I lost all hope of things getting better. I truly believed that this was my life from now on. That I would be forever hungry, scared and without a father or a mother. But things did get better eventually - I met Gale, my Mother got a little better over time and we weren't as hungry anymore. However now I really can't see any positive future for me, I can't see any future for me at all - not without Prim. There is no way that I will ever stop grieving the loss of Prim or that my already broken Mother can survive more heartache. I can't do anything anymore. It's like I'm the dead one - not her. And I wish it was that way, that I died. That I was reaped to participate in the Hunger Games because she didn't deserve this. This cruel twist of fate.

***********

My mother and I sit at our kitchen table, the silence stinging my ears. Suddenly the old television in the corner lights up and the Capitol logo appears. The theme song's tune dances in the air, mocking us. "Shut it off." I grumble and my mother gets up to turn it off but it is startled by Prim's sweet face on the television. She opens her mouth but nothing comes out but a high pitched squeak. My eyes widen in disbelief.

The melody that they play for the fallen tributes begins to play just as Gale comes bursting through the front door. "What are they doing?" I gasp. Gale looks away grimly. "How did she die?" I ask louder but he doesn't respond. "You never told me! How Gale?! Tell me!" I shout at him.
"Shhh." My mother whispers pointing to the screen that shows President Snow himself. I quiet down wanting to hear what he has to say for himself.

"The origin of games was to remind the districts there is no need for war because all it causes is death, loss and betrayal. So with the creation of the games we all became one, once more."
"Bullshit." Gale mumbles.
"Unfortunately, Peeta Mellark still had betrayal in his system this he inflicted on one of his fellow tributes before the games even began, reminding us why we started the games in the first place."
"Prim." I whisper, tears roll down my cheeks.

"Turn it off." Gale grumbles putting his arm around me but I push it off.
"Leave it on."
"So it saddens me deeply to announce the death of Primrose Everdeen.." Snow announces not looking at all sad as my mother wails and I drop to my knees waiting to hear the rest.

"Taken from this world by Peeta Mellark." My worst nightmare has come to life and the games haven't even begun yet. The boy with the bread, the boy who saved me. The boy who I owe my life to has taken away Prim's. How could he? Why? She was so young!

"Why?" I scream to the roof, outraged. My mother cries louder now, her whimpers echoing thought the silent room. "He killed her?" I whisper and Gale takes my hand and squeezes it. Why would he do this to me? How could he kill her like that, like she didn't mean anything? The games hadn't even started yet!

The screen goes dark but quickly comes to life again. This time Caesar Flickerman's face appears on the screen looking grim, not his usual animated and vibrant self. "My heart goes out to Primrose's family - she didn't even a chance to fight for herself." I look at the screen disgusted. How is this death any different to if she was killed in the arena? How, because she got to 'fight'? "However, the show must go on - the games have been pushed back a couple of days but don't worry," he says quickly trying to calm the booing audience. "This one will be extra special President Snow assures me himself. But you are probably wondering who will take Primrose's place as the female tribute from district twelve?" I lean towards the screen. How can they move on so quickly? It's like Prim's death meant nothing. "We thought it would be fitting, to honour Primrose's death, for the one person who knew her best to take her place as tribute. Her older sister, Katniss Everdeen."

Arghhh!! So many cliffhangers right?! Thanks for reading my old book! Lots of love x