18

Pippa's POV

I was laying in bed with Scarlett that night. We were watching The Prince of Egypt while it was thundering and raining outside. Steve was at a late rehearsal, as usual now. His show was coming along so nicely, but of course no one was completely prepared for opening night.

I couldn't help but sing along quietly to the opening number. Scarlett let out a little giggle as I quietly sang. I hugged her tighter, giving her a small smile.

When the movie was halfway through, Scarlett had fallen asleep. I smiled while shutting the laptop off and setting it aside. I kissed her forehead and slid down into the covers. It was getting incredibly late and Steve still wasn't home. I sent a text asking if everything was okay, but no response.. I was getting worried but, I trusted him. If something were to happen, he would let me know.

I had fallen asleep, but when I woke up, it was to Scarlett talking. I opened my eyes to see her on my phone talking to someone..

"Scarlett?" I mumbled.

"My mommy is awake now." She yawned. "Here you go." She said while handing me my phone.

"Who is this?" I asked, clearly more awake now.

"This is Officer Cortez with NYPD." The man spoke calmly on the other end. "You were the emergency contact on Steven Pasquale's phone... Who are you to him?" He asked.

"His... Fiance.." I answered quietly while looking down at my hand. He had asked me a few days ago to marry him. Scarlett could barely contain her excitement when he asked at the dinner table.

"I'm sorry to say this... But he's dead..." He spoke calmly. "When you're ready... We need you to come down to the station and get his things that we collected..."

My hand flew to my mouth, I wanted to scream. I needed answers.

"How?" I whispered.

"A drunk driver veered off the road at full speed..." He sighed. "I'm so sorry Miss Soo..." I could hear the sadness in his voice... After a few minutes of getting directions, I hung up. Tears were streaming down my face. I got up and walked out of the bedroom with my phone in my hands. I dialed the only people that really mattered right now...

"Phillipa?" A groggy Miss Pasquale mumbled. "Why are you calling so late?"

"I'm so sorry...." I cried.

Lin's POV

Word of Steven's death spread like wildfire in the Broadway community. I showed my face at the funeral, for Pippa and Scarlett's sake. Seeing Scarlett made my heart break into a million pieces. She was so confused.

"NO!" She screamed while the casket was being lowered into the ground. She got out of Pippa's grasp and ran away from it all. I wanted to stop her, but Daveed had stopped her. She clutched onto him tightly as she cried. I saw another guy standing near Pippa, it must've been a brother or cousin or someone....

When the funeral was over, Scarlett was handed over to the other guy while Pippa talked to her parents.

"Hey... It's okay." The guy whispered.

"Shushu..." Scarlett sniffed.

"I know.. I know." The man frowned. I watched as a few people walked up to Pippa and gave her envelopes... Now that was weird... She gave them each little bags too. What in the world? I decided to walk over and at least give comfort. As I got closer I heard her father talking to her in Chinese.

"Oh. Phil..." Her mother placed a hand on his arm.

"Sorry... Just... Hi..." I saw Pippa's face... Tears were still streaming.

"Thank you for coming." She whispered.

"Here." Scarlett handed me a little gift bag and I was confused. "You hafta eat the candy before you get home." She sniffed. I was confused, but looked at the entire family. They didn't seem very confused.

"I will." I whispered.

"Phillipa, is this the man?" Her mother asked.

"Yes." She answered.

"Hm." Her father looked at me with a plain expression. His eyes looked as if they were trying to enter my soul and steal it... terrifying.

"Um... Pippa, I just wanted to say I'm sorry... You really didn't deserve this.." I quickly said.

"Thank you." She mumbled without looking at me.

"I'll text you later okay?" I said while backing away from the family.

When I got to the car, I opened the little package and saw the candy. I did as Scarlett told and opened it to eat it. There was a little red envelope inside. I didn't touch that and a note. One side was written in Chinese while the other was written in English. Pippa's family must've really liked Steve if they went this far...

"The cool pool reflects the crescent like an eyebrow.
During the night for the ghosts I do pray and bow.
Winds send the phosphorus lights back toward the West.
Twinkling stars and floating fireflies are in peace now."

I could feel a little upset, but I couldn't stay like that. I just couldn't.

A/N: This is the last chapter! Sequel to come!!