8

I sat in the bathroom of our new little home. Scarlett had thrown up all over herself and some of it made it in the toilet. I was in full panic mode. I frantically dialed the one number that could even possibly help me at this point. 

"Phillipa?" Thank goodness. 

"Pam... I'm so sorry to call this early.. But, I just got here and I need to know where the nearest children's hospital is.." I quickly explained. Of course Pam woke up more, and offered to take us. I was grateful that she was only living a few minutes away too. When she got here, Scarlett was changed and somewhat clean when we got into her car. "Thank you so much." I whispered while buckling Scarlett into her seat. 

"It's not a problem. I didn't think a plane ride would make her sick..." Pam frowned. 

"I didn't either." I sighed. The entire way to the Children's hospital was spent with me on the phone with her doctor. They had agreed to send over her documents rather quickly and was very cooperative. 

It made waiting in the waiting room so much easier... 

After a few hours we were seen and the doctors there had decided to admit her and I felt like the worst mother in the entire world. Pam was there to comfort me, watching me at my absolute worst before a rehearsal was probably not the best... 

"She'll be okay." Pam whispered. 

"I hope so.. I can't.. I don't want to think that she won't... " I couldn't even form proper sentences let alone words at this point. 

Pam had left after a few hours, and excused me from today's rehearsal. I was officially alone here. I didn't know what else to do. Steve had called to make sure everything was okay. He wished he was here. I could hear it. 

After another hour of waiting, a doctor had come in to talk with me more. 

"I see that only you were tested for her condition." The woman spoke. 

"Yes... Her real father isn't in the picture..." I sighed. "I'm sure he wouldn't even believe me if I told him." I frowned. 

"Ms. Soo... I really understand where you're coming from... But we need to have that test so we can rule out anything else. I know it's hard, but is it possible?" She asked me. I let out a small sigh, knowing that it was going to be hard. 

"I'll try.." I whispered. I was going to have to do this for Scarlett... 

I sat in her room staring at the contact. I couldn't even find the strength to hit call. But I had to. So I forced it all to happen. 

"Pippa! How's it going?" Lin answered, quite cheerful as always. 

"Not so great..." I spoke almost on the verge of tears. "Scarlett is back in the hospital." I frowned. 

"Oh no... Is she going to be okay?" He asked, more concern in his voice. "Is Steve there?" He asked. 

"No, we're in California... She had gotten sick when we landed here..." I answered. "And I think she'll be okay... At least I want her to be okay." I frowned. 

"Wow. I'm sorry to hear that." He was truly too nice of a person for all of this. 

"Listen... Lin... Please... Don't hate me." I felt the tears coming now. 

"Why would I hate you?" He frowned. 

"Do you remember Tim's big party all those years ago?" I asked quietly. "Well... I was there. And you were there." I sniffed. "I guess we both must've drank a lot. But, um... That morning I woke up with you... Completely.... Exposed... And well... I..." I let out a few tears at the thought. "Scarlett is your daughter." I whispered. "And... The doctors need to run tests, but they want to rule out the father side for anything... And they can't do that without you..." I stammered. I took in a shaky breath, letting the tears fall now. 

"I..." He began. "Are you sure?" He was quieter now. 

"Yes... But they can do the paternity test. Just for you." I sniffed. "I have to go... She's waking up." I lied. I hung up the phone quickly and set it on the little table. I tried to cry quietly, but it was near impossible. 

"Mommy..?" I looked up and saw that Scarlett had woken up. I wiped my eyes and scooted my chair closer to her little bed. 

"Hi sweetie." I whispered. 

"Don't cry." She tried to smile, but ended up having a small coughing fit. 

"I'll be fine.." I forced my feelings down, keeping a brave face for Scarlett.

As the days went on, Scarlett's condition improved and they released her from the hospital. I smiled seeing her up and giggling the next day. I watched her stand with Pam, learning how to direct a musical. 

"Now tell them." Pam whispered to Scarlett. 

"You gotta be louder!" She giggled.

"And?" Pam smiled. 

"That's it for today!" She beamed. Everyone clapped for her and I walked up to her. 

"She'll be a fine director one day." Pam winked. 

"Oh I believe it." I smiled while picking her up. 

When we got home for the night, I had made a quick dinner for Scarlett and felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I answered it, seeing it was Lin. I hadn't spoken to him in a while. 

"Hello?" I answered cautiously. 

"Hey... I... Um... Flew down to California.. My wife kind of wants me to fix this... So... Is that okay?" He sounded so unsure of himself. It was insane to hear him like this. Usually he was so confident and perfectly fine with life. 

"Yeah... I have an off day tomorrow..." I mumbled. 

"Okay.. Cool... Um.. See you then." He hung up, which was weird. 

"Was that daddy?" Scarlett asked. 

"No.. Just a friend." I sighed. Friend. So weird. So weird to say that. Yeah, a friend that happens to be the father of your kid.