xxi.

anne laid in her bed, smiling.

this is the third night he spent the night and she couldn't be happier. his head laid on her chest as her fingers were running through his curls. he began to stir in his sleep. as his eyes opened, he grinned at anne and hid his face in the covers. 

"good morning sunshine." she kissed his forehead. "how did you sleep?"

"great because i'm with you. want me to grab breakfast?" she just nodded. he got up and put a pair of grey sweatpants on. she took a quick picture. "i'll be back."

she got up and put on his favorite shirt. "the smiths". she put her glasses on and ventured around her room. the rain pattered against her window as she grabbed her ukulele. she sat at the window and looked at the crowded streets covered with umbrellas. "let's try this song out." she hummed along to the original song she wrote for the album but was cut. it was about gilbert. everyone who heard it knew it. as she finished the song, the door slammed. gilbert stood there, even more in love with her than before.

"woo hoo! that was amazing! did you write that yourself?" she turned around from the window and looked up at him. "i would love to hear it with words." he kissed her cheek. 

they sat at the table and ate the breakfast gilbert provided. "thank you for this, love." her phone rang and she picked up the call. "excuse me. hello? no really? you are kidding! daisy i am going to cry! thank you! see you soon!" gilbert got up and looked at his girlfriend who danced around in only his shirt and her white socks. "MY BOOK IS BEING PUBLISHED EARLY! LIKE TOMORROW! AND IT MAY GET TURNED INTO A MOVIE!" she jumped into his arms and the spun them around. her legs wrapped around him tighter.

"i'm so proud of you! wow!" he kissed her lightly.

"i have to go the publishers office right now! can you take me?" he smiled as she ran to her closet. "okay which seems more i am that bitch look?" she held up to options and he stuck two fingers up. she quickly got changed and did her make-up. "let's go, the uber is waiting." he put on a baseball cap and shades. they walked out hand-in-hand, gilbert holding the umbrella for her. as they drove, their hands never left each other. the building was huge. "stay in the waiting room. i'll be an hour!" he sat on his phone, playing ten different games and scrolling through instagram. 

"gilbert blythe?" a lanky teenage boy stood in front of him. "can i get a picture! my girlfri-i mean best friend and i watch you all the time!" they took a picture. he was about to leave when gilbert stopped him.

"you like this girl don't you?" he blushed. "call her. is prom coming up?" he nodded. the blonde girl appeared on the screen, screaming when she saw him. "hey, what's her name? jamie? JAMIE GO TO PROM WITH HIM, OKAY? OKAY! BYE!" he just smiled and sent him on his way. anne game out of the office with files and papers. 

"we have a lot of work to do." she said. they ran into her apartment and gilbert made coffee. "i have to go through some casting folders and stuff. you don't have to help if you don't want to." 

he kissed her cheek. "as long as i'm with you, i'm okay." after hours of going through actors and actresses, their brains were fried. anne went to the bathroom to shower while gilbert made dinner. anne's phone began to ring and he picked up. "hello, she's in the shower. can i take a message? i'll go get her." he ran to the bathroom and knocked on the door. "anne, someone is on the phone for you! it's about marilla?" the shower stopped and she opened the door in her robe. 

"hello? rachel w-what? will she be okay? i-i'll be there by tomorrow. bye." she ran to her computer and began booking a flight. "i have to go back to avonlea for a little bit. it's marilla, she got into an accident and-" she broke down in tears, causing gilbert to take her into her arms. she sobbed. "she's all i have. when my parents didn't want me, marilla took me in and gave me nothing but love. she's all i have left." she cried.

"i'm coming with you. if she means this much to you, i'm coming with you." he hugged her tighter. he grabbed her computer. "the next flight is at eleven thirty so get packing! avonlea here we come!"