t w e n t y - t h r e e

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE❝ tie up loose ends ❞

❝ tie up loose ends ❞

     WHEN ARRIVING AT school in her overly happy mood, Hayden Marris heads straight for Mike Newton's locker. She had only been there twice before, both times being the times he had stopped between classes to retrieve his books. The girl felt bad for leaving Emmett, but at the same time she knew what she had to do; who she had to talk to, and what she needed to say. The brunette taps her foot on the linoleum flooring, waiting for the small-town boy to show up.

And surely enough, in that moment, he had.

Mike was confused as to why she was there at first— and then he looked around, expecting for Emmett to be lurking around somewhere. But when the girl gave him a warm smile, he relaxed, and made his way over to her. "Long time, no see, stranger," Mike comments, putting in his locker combination.

"And that's what I'm here about— I'm sorry, about everything. I know you and Emmett left off on bad terms, and I haven't talked to you in a while," she frowns. "I don't like that I've cut my friends out for a while . . . I've just been so busy, but that's no excuse. I'm back now, and I'd love it if we could hang out this weekend."

"You really want to?" He stops, raising his eyebrows. "I didn't know if Cullen—"

"Emmett," Hayden corrects.

"I didn't know if Emmett," he continues, "wanted me to see you again. I felt bad for what happened, and I really didn't mean for you to get hurt, Hayden. That's the last thing I ever wanted."

"It doesn't matter what Emmett wants, I make my own decisions. Besides, I'm sure the two of you would enjoy each other's company if you actually got to meet. For real, though— not just through punching each other and glaring in the hallways."

Mike opened his mouth to speak, but Hayden cut him off with a gasp of realization. "That's it!" She says, grabbing onto his shoulders, a wide grin spreading across her lips. "On Saturday I'll have you, Paul, and Emmett go out for a guys' day, and then I could meet up with you afterwards. That way everyone might be able to get along for once."

Mike chews on the inside of his cheek, shutting his locker before nodding. "If that's what you want, I'd be willing to try. I could learn to get along with him, as long as he makes you—"

"—happy," Hayden finishes, her smile glowing. "I'm finally noticing the little things that everyone wants for me. You all want me to be happy."

"That's my job," Mike chuckles, running a hand through his blond hair. "That, and to make sure Cull— Emmett doesn't break your heart."