s e v e n

CHAPTER SEVEN❝ upset me  ❞

CHAPTER SEVEN
❝ upset me  ❞

AFTER HAYDEN RETURNED home with Bella by her side, she felt better about missing out on a day with her parents. She forgot about it, almost. Paul had lifted her spirits with his promises of tomorrow, and she was happier than ever. Bella was in a grand mood, too, the happiness obvious in her smile.

"How long have you and Edward been together?" Hayden asks, placing a pillow on the sofa in her bedroom for Bella.

When she had gotten back, her Chinese takeout was placed on the bar in the kitchen, and her parents were fast asleep again. She took no hesitation in heating it back up, splitting the food with Bella. Their kitchen talk consisted of how Hayden's first and second days of school went, along with how she met Paul. And after, they resided in Hayden's room, bringing them to the question at hand.

"I'm not really sure," Bella says quietly, placing her previous outfit into her bag. "We got together a while after I moved here, but things got complicated for a couple months."

"I'm sorry," Hayden finds herself saying, taking a seat on the bed. "If you don't mind me asking, what happened to complicate things between the two of you?"

"He moved for a bit," she frowns, sinking into the sofa. "It wasn't a very good time for me, and Jake was there to support me. But Edward is back now."

"Bella, did you happen to gain feelings for Jacob in the time that Edward was gone?" The girl asks, raising an eyebrow at the brunette. "You seem really close with him."

"Edward was always the one for me," Bella shrugs, biting the inside of her cheek. "I don't think anyone can change that."

"As long as you're happy," Hayden smiles, tossing a blanket to her.

Hayden was quiet then, the room going comfortably silent. Although she enjoyed the time with Bella, Hayden couldn't sit still. She couldn't stand waiting for an answer, or continuing on with what little Paul had told her. Why had Emmett reacted so negatively earlier?

Bella noticed her flustered face, a small chuckle leaving her lips. "What are you thinking about?"

"Emmett," Hayden admits, placing her chin on her hand. "I don't know, he's just . . . different. And I don't understand him- it's aggravating."

"I'm sure the understanding will come when it needs to," Bella tells her. The pale girl lays down, tucking herself in as she relaxes into the soft cushions.

And for once, Hayden was confident in the words someone else had told her. And so she sunk into the blankets, turning off her lamp, and drifting off to sleep without another word.

---

Bella and Hayden walked alongside each other the next morning, entering the school building with a conversation. Edward waited for the two at Bella's locker, his eyes soft as they landed on his girlfriend. Hayden smiled a bit, glad to see how happy she made him.