t e n

CHAPTER TEN❝ loneliness ❞

CHAPTER TEN
❝ loneliness ❞

HAYDEN FOUND EMMETT in the parking lot after school was over, a bit over-excited to see him. He noticed her immediately, of course, but wasn't about to stare at her openly. Instead, he kept his eyes on Alice, who continued to chatter after she saw Hayden in the distance. Then, with a quick wink, she turned to face the girl.

"Hello, Hayden," Alice smiles brightly, flashing her pearly whites. "Are you still planning on coming up this weekend?"

"Alice," Emmett sighs, shaking his head. Although, he had to admit, he was looking forward to her coming over, no matter how much he shouldn't. "Don't bother her about this again."

"Hey," Hayden grins back, glancing at Alice. "And of course. That is- if you guys want me to."

She looked to Emmett, raising an eyebrow. He rolls his eyes at her jokingly, before nodding in acceptance. Alice grew happy in an instant, before spinning around, and darting over to Jasper.

"So, about that dinner on Friday . . . " Emmett trails off, tilting his head to the side.

"You don't have to come if it's an inconvenience," she says, cutting him off. "I just- I was hoping my parents would start paying more attention if I brought someone in."

It was obvious that her mother cared whether or not there was a boy in her house, since she had taken the time to ask about Paul. But Hayden had told her there was nothing going on; therefore, she wouldn't focus too harshly on him. But if there was someone else . . . someone that Hayden obviously felt something for . . .

But Emmett wouldn't know that.

"I was actually going to ask what time you wanted me over," he chuckles lightly, tilting his head to the side.

"Oh," Hayden glances to the ground, hoping that her hair would hide the pink flush on her cheeks. "Anytime after school is fine."

"I could give you a ride home from school and stay," Emmett suggests, "unless you have any better ideas."

"Are you insinuating that you have better ideas than me?" The girl raises an eyebrow, her eyes finding his. "Because you and I both know that you're wrong. I can be just as smart as you."

"Then what's your idea?"

She couldn't answer his question, because she didn't have an idea. But that wouldn't stop the brunette- she needed to prove that she could function under pressure. But unfortunately, with his gorgeous eyes on her, Hayden couldn't seem to come up with anything. Maybe it was the butterflies in her stomach that kept her from thinking too hard.