f i f t e e n

CHAPTER FIFTEEN❝ unintentional ❞

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
unintentional ❞

JESSICA WAS UNDOUBTEDLY jealous that Mike was focusing his attention around Hayden Marris. Every now and then, as they say around the circular cafeteria table, Jessica would sneak a glare to Hayden while the blonde boy wasn't looking. Hayden didn't really mind it though, as she would reply back with a kind smile. It was a means of letting Jess know that the brunette didn't care about her strong hatred. Emmett watched from afar, his seat placed between Edward and Joseph. With a long sigh, he runs his hands down his face in repulsion.

"I hate seeing her near him," Emmett grits his teeth. "Why won't she just come and talk to me already? It's obvious she's not enjoying that kid's lame attempt at flirting."

"Because she doesn't understand why you left her this morning," Bella states, popping a carrot into her mouth. "Clearly, you can't keep your chill. It wasn't her fault that Mike called while you were having an important conversation, right? You can't get upset about something that she couldn't control."

"She didn't have to answer it." Emmett frowns, glancing over to their table again, his eyes narrowed into slits. "It's not like he's all that important, anyway. We almost kissed, for goodness sake! The least we could've done is talk about it without an interruption."

"Well, it could've been an emergency," Edward takes Bella's side. "What if Mike needed her and she didn't answer him? That would've been a conversation that would inevitably happen anyway. It's not like you can't wait until tomorrow, or some other convenient time."

"If there was an emergency, he would've called an ambulance first. Hayden isn't permitted to heed his every command because I would rip him apart for it. I won't allow him to treat her like that; calling solely because he doesn't feel like he's been getting enough attention lately. That's my job."

"So you're saying you are attention-seeking?" Alice tilts her head to the side, a wide grin spreading across her perfectly sculpted lips as she sends a wink towards Bella.

"Well," he seems flabbergasted for a moment, before rolling his eyes. "I guess. But only for Hayden. The rest of you can kiss my ass for trying to embarrass me in front of her. That was a mean move, you guys. And you can't try and steal her away from me with your charms, Alice. She's not the type to go shopping for dresses everyday."

"But when prom rolls around," Alice clicks her tongue with a shrug, "we'll see who takes her dress shopping. You know, Em, I do think Mike might ask her first‒ do you see the way he's looking at her right now?"

Jasper nudges her with his elbow lightly, shaking his head as he laughs. Emmett, however, looks anything but amused. Edward sighs, sinking into his seat as Emmett launches from his. In a matter of seconds, the Cullen boy is at Hayden's table, breaking up the conversation she was currently vested in.