Opinions

It had almost been a week since I had last gone to school. After the incidence that had happened, a part of me was scared of what I might find when I actually went back there. I was definitely in no hurry to find out. After giving the matter a lot of thought, both me and Josh had decided that it was best to let the matter rest for some time. I had faked illness, and decided to stay home for a week. A week without seeing me, and Gabriel was sure to forget what had occurred in that split second of eye contact. Hopefully, he would dismiss his doubts, and go back to the bitch who had taken my place in his arms.

Whatever. Meanwhile, I had been focusing all my energies on the upcoming elections. I had lined up interviews for every single day. Today was the last day of the interviews, and also the day we would finalize the contestants. Me, Josh, and a few people that we had handpicked, were a part of the group that conducted the interviews. They were from various walks of life, and diverse proffessions.

My main motive was to test how the candidate was able to uphold himself against different challenges, and how he or she would behave with the members of the pack- be it a 5 year old child, or an 80 year old. I didn't want there to be any room for mistakes. I wanted everything to be perfect.

I was eating my breakfast, sitting on the table, waiting for Josh to show up, as I mentally was going through the previous day's candidates. Josh had been a steady support through everything for me. He was someone I could trust, and who had helped me through every single thing. He was like an angel sent by the gods to help me through this Alpha mess. He had recently moved in with me. My parents were out on a world tour, so I had the whole place to myself. Needless to say, I had lots of extra space to accomodate him, and it saved him the time of travelling back and forth, from his place to mine. Usually he was ready before I woke up. What was taking him so long today?

That is when my phone started ringing. Who could be calling me so early in the morning?

I went to pick it up, and saw that it was my mom.

"Hey, mom." I chirped. It was the first time she had called since I had become Alpha, and I was happy to hear from her.

"Hey kiddo. How are you?" her voice said the right words, maybe it was my imagination, but her enthusiasm was definitely lacking.

"I am great. I am actually getting ready to head out for some work. How are you? How is your trip going? Where are you guys right now?" I asked.

"Alpha Dan called, Claire." she deadpanned. Just like my mom. She never beats around the bush.

I didn't say anything, unable to make out the emotion behind that sentence.

"Is it true?" she asked again.

"What? " I asked.

"Did you challenge and then beat him in a fight, you stupid, stupid girl? Have you actually gone on to accept the title of Alpha of the pack?" she was in hysterics by the end of the sentence.

Why was she so mad at me? Shouldn't she be proud? Being Alpha was a big deal, and she should know I was trying my best. She was my mother after all, she should be here with me, supporting me through this, right? But instead, all she does is shout at me on a long distance call. The first time she calls in over a month, is to yell at me. Yay.

I sat down on the couch, determined not to let disappointment consume me. Whatever I had been expecting from her, this was definitely not it.

"Yes, I have." I confirmed.

"Claire, what have you done? Do you have no sense at all? Your actions have consequences, you know, when will you learn to think before you act?"

I closed my eyes, and breathed deeply. You are not going to get affected by this, I told myself, keep calm, and keep taking deep breaths.