Twilight Saves the Day

It was half an hour before Gabriel arrived and we were still thinking. We had no battle pans, no clue as to how I was going to get through the meeting without him finding out that we were mates. It seemed pretty impossible but hope was our only ally, so we went and tried to churn our brains for a possible solution.

As far as I knew, I was doomed. But I struggled like a dying man to think of something, that would help me look into his eyes, and keep the bond from being established.

Fifteen minutes left, and still nothing.

The phone rang, and Josh went to get it. He came back with a very neutral expression, which on his face, only signifies trouble. And if something has got Josh worried, it was definitely bad news. Really bad, because Josh is not an easily ruffled person.

Fearing the worst, I went towards the phone and put it to my ear.

“Hello?” I breathed.

“Alpha Claire!” The voice at the other end shocked as much as thrilled me. On hearing the voice, a zing of delight shot through me, as my wolf started jumping with joy, and howling like a deranged dog. I took in a deep breath to calm myself and made my wolf to shut up, but I lost what he was saying, in the process.

“I am sorry, I couldn’t hear you. Can you please go again?” I have never felt so humiliated in my life. Now he probably suspects me of being half deaf.

“I apologize, but some urgent business has just come up here in my pack, and I am very sorry, but I can’t make it to the meeting we had scheduled at five, this evening.”

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yess! I mentally fist pumped. Thank god!

“Oh! That is alright. We can reschedule sometime next week.” I replied.

“I hope you aren’t offended by my rudeness. I really wanted to meet and congratulate you in person, but...” he trailed off.

“I totally understand,” I cut him off, “Trust me, no offence has been taken, and it’s not an issue.”

“Thank you so much. Oh by the way, you joined Zelman’s High, today, right?” he asked.

So he had noticed me today. The thought made me suddenly feel a whole lot better.

“Um, yeah.” I replied.

“I go there too. Catch you at school tomorrow?” he asked casually.

“Sure.”

And this whole bunch of butterflies that I never knew existed erupted in my stomach. I have never ever had butterflies, not before tests, not before dates, never. It’s not in my nature to be nervous or anxious about things. As far as I can remember, I have always been cool, calm and collected, and very, very focused. That is what I have always prided myself on. I have all the makings of being an ideal fighter.

But one conversation with this boy, and I start getting butterflies? Damn, he brought out the worst in me.

“Man up, you silly girl,” I mentally told my wolf, “You are Alpha now. You better start behaving like one.”

It just gave a very girlish snort in response.

##########

The next day, when I woke up, the first thought that came up in my head was-

“I am not going to think about meeting him.”