Leo

I took in a deep breath, waiting for Leo, when suddenly there was a commotion at the door and Josh walked in again, with a phone to his ear. He held it away as he stage whispered to me, "So sorry to disturb you Alpha, but it's your mate."

I stared at him angrily and at the phone in his hand, afraid Gabriel might have caught something with his enhanced Alpha wolf hearing.

"Relax." Josh smiled, "I am just messing with ya. I told him I will call him back."

"What did he want?" I asked.

"Checking in to make sure you are okay. You wanna talk to him now?"

"Er, okai, I guess." I tried to act nonchalant but just the prospect of talking to Gabriel and hearing his voice brightened up my day. I heard someone pick up on the other end, and sat up in anticipation. It was his secretary that answered and then it was him on the phone.

Even over the phone, his voice made me tingle all over in a good way. I sat up in bed as a surge of adrenaline rushed though me.

Stop blushing! Josh mouthed as he exchanged pleasantries with Gabriel.

I scowled at him, impatient to get on the phone. Finally he held it out to me. I took it, as he winked at me, and left.

"Hello?" I said, a little breathless from all the anticipation.

"Alpha Shaw, how good it is to hear from you." He sighed. Was it a sigh of relief? Was he worried about me? Just the thought that he was sitting in his office worrying about me made my lips quirk up in a smile.

"Alpha Hawke, the pleasure is all mine." I answered, putting my emotions in check.

"I hope you are feeling better?"

"I am now, thank you for asking." This was a simple diplomatic conversation, but I couldn't help grinning from ear to ear. Why was this stranger enquiring about my health making me so unbelievably happy?

"Erm, I was actually very concerned about you." There was a hint of worry and anxiety in his voice. Talking to him was giving me a high, and hearing all these emotions in his voice were a total kick.

"I thank you again, but there is no need for worry, I assure you. I was nothing major and I am fine now."

"Well in that case, can I come and see you tonight? I will rest easy, knowing that you are okay and feeling well."

I was about to answer when a voice came over the phone 'But Gabriel, baby you promised to spend the day with me!'

It stung so bad like someone had cut me in half and left me to bleed. Then come back to sprinkle salt on my wounds. However, I could not back out of this. This was my choice, after all.

"That would be wonderful. And why don't you bring Jessica along as well?" I said as cheerfully as I could manage without puking. Still, her name left a bitter taste in my mouth.

"Er, I-er" Gabriel hesitated, clearly not expecting this, and I smiled. Jessica was my fail safe. The more time he spent with her thinking her as his rightful mate, the less time he had to be nosing around on what he had with me. Jessica, I decided, was vital for me. I was going to use her to my advantage like a true politician,

"Oh, it will be no trouble at all. It will be our pleasure to host you both." I coaxed sweetly.

"Fine." He replied. The previous touch of warmth and tenderness gone. He was a politician now. "We will be there."

"See you then."

I cut the call. But the idea of seeing him later gave me no pleasure.

Leo knocked and entered the room a few minutes later. I was exhausted by my conversation with Gabriel but I was going to have to get used to it. I couldn't let him have this kind of effect on me.

Naturally I was in no mood to talk to Leo, but I guessed it had to be done. I had kept him waiting long enough. And being one of the more wealthier, he was also one of the higher order ranks in the pack; which meant I could not easily get away with offending him.

He walked in and bowed, "Alpha Claire, what a pleasure to finally meet you."

I smiled at him, saying nothing. He looked even prettier up close and in person. His pictures did not do him justice. He was the quintessential romance hero with blond tousled hair and piercing blue eyes, and a rich posh upbringing. Looking at him nobody could have guessed that he had been sleeping on a couch for the past two days; he still looked the picture of perfection- like he had just materialized fresh out of a fashion magazine. His charisma was almost magnetic, it seemed to draw me in. I found it difficult to avert my eyes, wanting to linger and appreciate his prettiness.

"The pleasure is actually all mine; seeing that you went to such lengths to save my life. I am extremely grateful. Thank you."

He shrugged it off nonchalantly, "Nonsense. It was my duty."

He punctuated it with a smile that was created to dazzle. It brightened p the whole room, and I found myself smiling in response. "But that doesn't take away the fact that what you did was very brave, and also very stupid."

"Call it what you want. But given a chance, I would gladly do it all over again."

I smiled, unsure of where this was heading. I tried to get him to confess his true intentions, "I owe you my life Leo. If there is anything I can do for you-"

I let my sentence hang, hoping he would take the bait.

"There is actually something you can do for me."

"There is?" I was surprised. I hadn't expected him to fall into my trap so easily. He had stuck me as a kind who recognised and avoided such tricks.

"Go to Dinner with me." He smiled again.

That was unexpected. "Why Dinner?"

"You might be Alpha, but you are also an extremely attractive young woman. It would be foolish of me if I did not grab a chance to ask you out." His blue eyes seemed to draw me into their depths. Inviting me to explore the numerous secrets behind them. It was alluring, but did I really trust this man enough to go on a date with him? Well, that was a no.

Also, I couldn't flat out refuse him, for fear of offending him. This was my chance of forming a powerful, wealthy and shrewd ally. I couldn't let that go by just because I was too scared to go on a date. I had to make this work somehow. And then, out of nowhere, the perfect solution occurred to me.

"Sure, why not" I smiled at him too, trying to make it half as smooth as his was, "How does tonight sound?"