18. Treasure

Thank you all for the votes and the comments. Thank you for those who added my story to library, reading list and of course thanks for the follow.

_____________________________________________

   The happiness I am having now is like god have signed haven for me. I got the treasure that is nothing but my mother's one of her book with 'To my daughter' on it. I never knew my mother wrote it for me. I don't know what came over me that this wonderful thinking of exploring my mother's stuff, but I got this. I opened the first page.

Dear Nandini,

     Hi, I am your mother. Okay, this is the most ridiculous starting line, but I am not a poet to start. I don't know how far I would live with this cancer cells in my body but you should always be happy. I am basically writing this, when you choose your life partner dear. You know when I was 25, I was adamant on my decision, never to marry a person like my father. You may ask why? From my childhood itself your grand pa preferred male over female. So when he came to know that my mother cannot conceive after me, he wanted to spend less money on me.

  Even to graduate my MSE in physics, he threw all his tantrums. Even when I wanted to teach free for orphanage near my house, his statement was 'I give more salary to the cleaner in our house. No need to work, we will fix your marriage.' I even made strikes but all I got was jewellery and saree to wear.

  I rejected about 10 to 11 alliance. The fifteenth alliance was your father. I made grumpy face and sat in front of your father ready to reject him. When I saw him, he was staring at me. I waved my hand, made funny faces so carefully that my parents and his parents should not see me. Then a very embarrassing thought came to my mind and without thinking I voiced it out 'Is your son blind' both the male chocked on their drinks, my mother was glaring at me and your grand mother, that is your father's mother started laughing.

  Your father still had that blank expression.

   Suddenly my door bell rang indicating someone was here. I opened it and was welcomed by fab5. What I saw made me laugh rolling on the floor. They were already inside. Aliya, Druv were controlling their laughs and failing in it. Mukti joined me and started banging her fists on floor laughing. The reason for such thing is Manik is covered with Pinocchio milkshake and Kabir is covered with strawberry pastry.

  "Please tell why these both are in this look. Is it the attire for your next concert?" I asked in between my laughing session.

  "Actually we were in Dream's café discussing about random topics. At the same time Kabir saw Navya and started the 'Kiss' topic to infuriate her. She counted till 10 embarrassing words then she took my strawberry pastry and dumped it on Kabir's face saying 'This is for the kiss'. Manik started laughing and Kabir poured Druv's Milkshake on Manik's head. Your apartment was the most nearby one, so Manik took us here to clean himself." Aliya told me to which I started laughing hysterically which was joined by Druv.

 What I didn't see was, someone standing outside and listening our conversation. I thought it was Deepa, but to my surprise it was Ruby with shocked expression. She entered and her first question was "What kiss are you talking about? It is the cheek kiss. Right?" she asked as if we were talking about betraying our country. I can't blame her. Even I was like her before going to USA but now..uh..just forget it. She is from a very strict, cultured Muslim family so she is right in her way.

  I told her what happened to Navya and she said she will go to Darga to remove this dirty things from her pure ears. Oh god, I have a friend who is like in 90's era and also have a friend who is of this era. I went to make coffee for all the guests leaving Ruby with Aliya who was talking about fashion and Mukti talking about fitness. "hey" I heard Kabir's voice.

 "Kabir, I would have came with your coffee, just wait for five minutes, I will bring it." I said preparing the coffees. "Manik told me about your mom" my hands froze listening it. "No, Don't go blaming Manik, actually he came to take my mother's help, as she is chemist, so I forced him to say. I will help you in any case Nandini, don't be shy while asking my help." he said and I was relieved hearing it.

 I still remember when we returned back from the orphanage last week, Manik was thinking so deeply. I tried to ask him about it but he refused to talk and he is been off with that cheery attitude. "Thank you " I said with glossy eyes. He instantly hugged with a welcome. We served the coffee to everyone and then Ruby opened her mouth.

  "Nandini" she called me to which I hummed but her next statement made me dance of my happiness. "I am getting married" I instantly hugged her and congratulated. Even fab5 congratulated and Aliya wanted to design her wedding attire, so Ruby agreed to it. Almighty made me stay away from my family but did not forget to give me another one. I am happy for my friends, who are now a family.