Chapter 16 - The Beach

He's Mine

Chapter 16 – The Beach

“School’s out!” Dylan shouted, pumping his fist in the air with enthusiasm before high fiving Connor.

“Only for like a week,” Harmony pointed out.

“No need to be a downer, it’s still a week of no boring lessons.” Connor replied, glaring at Harmony for her negativity.

“Yeah Mony, stop being so grouchy; we get a whole week off, plus we’re away this weekend.” Katie said, nudging her best friend in the hip with a smile.

“True, what did you say the weather’s like?”

“Should be sunny all weekend,” Beth interrupted, smiling brightly at the group, “Lucky really since it’s nearly the end of October and England is known for the awful weather.”

“It’s more unpredictable weather, but you won’t hear me complaining about any sun,” Katie piped in, grinning widely and looping her arm through Harmony’s. “So, tomorrow, nine o’clock at the train station?”

“Yep,” Harmony confirmed, “But I’ve really got to get home and pack for the weekend.” She turned to the rest of the group and wave as she took a few steps back. “See you guys tomorrow.”

There was a collective goodbye’s and Harmony hurried away, adjusting her school bag comfortably on her shoulder as she made her way to her house. Her mother would still be at work so she would have to pack a bag quickly before she got home without having to face her.

***

“Are you sure you’re going to be okay?”

“Dad, I’m almost sixteen and it’s only three days; I promise I’ll be fine.”

Richard bit his lip out of worry as he gazed at his daughter. Harmony’s eyes narrowed in return and she put her hands firmly on her hips.

“Stop worrying! I was fine in Spain when you did work and stuff, wasn’t I? I’ll be with my friends at all times and I’ll be careful.”

“You best be,” He warned, kissing her hair and pulling her into a hug.

“Yeah, yeah, I’ve got to go now; you’re embarrassing me.”

Richard chuckled and released her, watching her walk over to her group of friends with a wave. She waved back, but as she turned her back to him she rolled her eyes at her friends. He worried about her far too much; she’d spent more time without him in Spain and this was only for the weekend.

“Everyone ready?” Beth asked, pointing her finger at everyone as she counted in her head.

“Yeah, we’re ready,” Katie replied, pulling out the handle on her suitcase.

“Got tickets?”

“Yes we’ve got our tickets, Mum,” Jordan teased and Beth blushed.

“Just checking we won’t be leaving anyone behind.”

“Let’s got have an adventure!” Connor cheered, punching Dylan’s shoulder who shoved him in response.

“We’re only going to the seaside that’s like a two hour train journey away; there’s not much adventure there,” Elliot pointed out, pushing his glasses up his nose.

“That’s not the attitude,” Katie responded, “We’re a group of teens…venturing out in the world on our own; don’t have to listen to adults telling us what to do!”

“If you say so,” Harmony laughed, smiling at all her friends. “We’re just going to be sunbathing and going on the pier.”

“Good enough for me,” Blake said, hanging an arm loosely over Harmony’s shoulder.