Chapter 13 - Sunset

Chapter 13 – Sunset

“Harmony!”

Startled by the sudden voice in her ear, Harmony squealed and jumped which caused her to roll off the sofa and land with a thump on her bum. Still tired, she rubbed her sleep-filled eyes and yawned. “What the hell,” She managed to croak. Still lying on the floor, she dragged the blanket that was sprawled on the sofa and wrapped it around her body.

“Sorry,” Blake laughed, clearly amused, “You weren’t waking up.”

“So that means you’re allowed to scare the sh*t out of me?!” Harmony demanded, glaring at Blake. Her glower was interrupted as another yawn spilled from her mouth, and she sighed. “It’s too early for me to stay annoyed at you.”

“It’s twelve o’clock.”

“What? How long have I been asleep?”

Blake laughed at the surprise on her face. “You ended up falling asleep at about...five or six, so only about seven hours.”

“Oh, that’s alright then,” Harmony sighed, “At least I haven’t slept all day.” They were both silent for a moment and eventually Harmony pushed herself to her feet. “Thank you, for staying here last night; I needed the company.”

“It’s alright,” He replied smoothly, “Although you now owe me for making me watch that cheesy crap.”

“Hey you suggested it!” Harmony protested.

“Whatever.” Blake shrugged his shoulders and Harmony left the living room to walk into the kitchen.

“Nice to see you’re awake,” Claire said, staring at her daughter with a smile on her face. She was leant against the counter in her dressing gown and with a cup of tea in her hand.

“Yeah, we stayed up late watching films,” Harmony replied, going over to the cupboard to pull out a bowl and cereal.

“Not making a special breakfast for your guest?” Her mother asked.

“Nope, he can have cereal or toast; I’m too tired.”

“Oh thanks,” Blake said sarcastically, entering the kitchen. “Nice to know you like putting in the effort for me.”

“She’s not normally so grouchy in the morning,” Claire said, “But she must have woken up on the wrong side of the sofa.”

“There’s only one side of a sofa,” Harmony replied pointedly, “I haven’t had much sleep and he woke me up rather rudely.”

“It’s alright; I’ll just have some cereal.” Blake said, laughing and helping himself to a bowl from the cupboard. Harmony handed him the cereal and milk before settling at the breakfast bar with her own food.

“I’m going to get ready,” Claire announced, putting her empty mug in the sink.

“Thanks for letting me stay last night, Mrs Barnes,” Blake quickly said.

“I’ve already told you, it’s Claire not Mrs Barnes,” She dismissed, “and you’re always welcome. I can see Harmony’s become very fond of you.”

Without another word she left the kitchen and Blake settled in the seat next to Harmony with his cereal.

“What do you think you’re going to do today?”

“I’m not sure,” Harmony answered, “Probably see Katie; ask her how the date went and everything.”

“You don’t have to you know,” Blake said, noticing the frown on Harmony’s lips.