Chapter 12 - Best of friends

He's Mine

Chapter 12 – Best of friends

"Do you want to come over?"

"I'm not sure..."

"Oh please, Harmony; I feel like we haven't talked properly in ages! I miss you."

Harmony could hear the desperate tone, which softened her heart, "Alright, I'll be round in five minutes."

"Yes!"

A smile lit Harmony's face and she hung up the phone, grabbing a bag and slipping on some shoes. "I'm going to Katie's house, Mum!" She called out, jogging downstairs and picking up keys.

"Do you want me to pick you up later?"

"Is seven alright?"

"Yeah, will you be having dinner there?"

"Probably; you know Jane."

"Okay, well have a good time, honey."

"Thanks."

With those words being said, Harmony stepped out of her house and closed the door. She made her way to Katie's. It was a twenty five minute walk but she had only just gotten home from school before Katie rang, so it was four o'clock; still light and sunny.

She didn't mind the walk; the sun was warm on her skin and the light breeze was soft and welcoming in the heat. Her thoughts drifted back to when they first met.

It was their very first day in nursery. Harmony was playing with a doll, combing her blonde hair and dressing her up in a soft pink dress. Katie watched from a distance, slightly jealous as she wanted to be the one with the pretty doll. Rather than storming over and taking it for herself, she remembered her mother's frequent scolding that she had to learn to share.

Therefore, she went over to talk to Harmony. She asked if she'd like to play with her and picked up another doll to join in. It wasn't quite as pretty, but she was happy to settle with it. Once they'd played for a while, Katie requested to have a turn with the blonde doll.

Harmony had glanced between the two before a big smile lit her face. "Of course," She had said. "She has the same pretty hair as you."

From then on, the two grew close. They stuck together through their lower school, Katie listening to young Harmony's worries; she regularly heard her parents shouting, which upset her. Their friendship developed from that of children to teenagers.

Then through middle school, Katie had her first boyfriend, though the relationship with very amateur and childish which was unsurprising at their age. Meanwhile Harmony suffered through her parents' divorce. It had hit her hard, taking her mind off almost everything besides school.

Harmony became more outgoing when they went into high school. She wasn't quite as outspoken and bold as Katie, plus she stuck to her good grades by studying hard. However she didn't forget her social life either; Katie was the one to enforce that. If it wasn't for her, she would probably forget to mingle with their friend's or even leave her house.

This situation she was in reminded Harmony of all the times Katie forced her to leave her books and get out, though this time was much different. Now, she wasn't distracted by books and studies; she was distracted by a blue-eyed beauty who wouldn't stop running circles in her mind.

These thoughts carried Harmony to Katie's front door, where she rang the doorbell and waited patiently. Her eyes briefly wandered to the house next door where she knew Alex lived. She lifted her gaze to the top window and noticed the curtain twitch. She focused her eyes but found it must have been a trick of her mind.