Prologue

He's Mine

Prologue

"Go on, try it Harmony; I promise it won't kill you."

"But what if it tastes funny?" Harmony retorted with a pout, "And since when did you become an expert on which fruits aren't poisonous in Spain, Alex?"

Alex chuckled at her response and tucked a strand of her chocolate brown hair behind her ear that had been billowing in the light breeze. "I'm not an expert," He replied smoothly, "you just have to learn to trust me."

Harmony stared into his eyes for a moment, getting lost within the deep blue colours. She was pulled out of their watery depths when she felt the small berry probing at her mouth. She made sure to keep her lips clamped shut, not allowing him access.

His eyes narrowed at her stubbornness and he reached for her sides, which made her squeal with laughter. As she opened her mouth, he popped the small berry inside and she felt her teeth pierce the soft skin as a sour taste filled her mouth.

He pulled his hands away and watched as her face scrunched up with displeasure as the taste was too sweet, and then she swallowed. She smacked her lips together and stuck her tongue out while he laughed quietly.

When the taste finally subsided, she frowned at him. "You didn't warm me it would be so sour."

He slung an arm across her shoulder while they continued to walk down the dirt path.

"Each berry tastes different," He shrugged, his voice smug. Harmony reacted by shoving him with her hip, which caused him to stumble a few steps over. She tried to hide her giggle behind her hand, but he noticed.

Alex's eyes narrowed playfully as an evil smile spread across his lips. Her eyes widened and she turned on her heel to sprint down the path. The foreign sun was hot on her olive skin, making small beads of sweat quickly break out across her body. She choked on a laugh as she toppled forwards.

Luckily, she landed on the grass which cushioned her blow. Unluckily, a lump of a person landed on her back, pushing all the air out of her lungs.

"Okay, you got me!" She wheezed, holding her hands up in surrender.

"Tell me I'm awesome!"

Her eyes rolled at his childish demand and she kept her lips tight shut.

"Harmony..." He started saying once she was silent for too long, "you know you'll suffer the consequences..." His mouth was at her ear as he whispered the words, his warm breath fanning over her skin and making her shiver. Her mind was clouded with the feelings he was rousing from her, making her thoughts spin for a moment. She realised too late what he meant when his words sunk in.

He applied pressure to her sides, a soft spot he'd discovered the week before. She squirmed helplessly beneath him, trying to bite back the laughter but miserably failing. He grinned successfully at her reaction.

"Please stop! You're awesome!" She screamed between giggles. He stopped tickling her and, from where she'd twisted, they managed to find themselves so Harmony was lying on her back with Alex straddled over her waist.

"I did warn you."

Alex didn't give her enough time to reply before dipping his head down and stealing a kiss that tasted of the berry he'd given her. To Harmony, the feathery light kiss he'd given her tasted more bittersweet.

"I can't believe this is our last day together..." She frowned, speaking the thoughts of inevitability that was running through both their minds.

"Then let's make the most of it," He whispered in a low voice that sent a shiver down her spine. His lips crashed to hers and the kiss was quick to turn deeper, with more passion yet finality to it.

Harmony ran her fingers through his hair, pulling him impossibly closer as he supported his weight on his elbows. She felt high on his irresistible taste, taking in his woodsy smell and soaking up the electric feelings that he sent through her body.

They had agreed on a summer romance - no strings attached. Both too afraid to admit they wanted much more. Tomorrow they were getting on different planes, back to their separate homes and separate lives.