Chapter 5 - Cake disasters

He's Mine

Chapter 5 – Cake disasters

"Happy birthday!" Harmony chirped sweetly at her mother, leaning up to kiss her cheek. "Wait, you're all dressed up; where are you going?"

Claire sighed and rolled her eyes. "I told you the other day; I've got to work for a bit today. But don't worry; it won't be all day, they just need some help with things. You sure you're feeling better?"

"Yes I feel much better, don't worry about me, the rest really helped last night."

"Okay, good. Anyway, I'm late." She quickly picked up her bag and rushed to the door; Harmony followed her and waited till she pulled on her coat before pulling her into a hug.

"Goodbye sweetie." Claire tenderly kissed her daughters cheek and hurried out to the car, seeing Harmony wave to her in the rear view mirror.

Harmony went back into the kitchen and slipped an apron on before pulling her hair into a messy ponytail and washing her hands. She glanced up at the clock on the wall, counting the time she had to work then started to gather all the ingredients. She had three hours; plenty of time.

***

Harmony was grumbling to herself as she felt her arms aching. She was trying to mix the butter, sugar, eggs and flour together and it was taking it's time to work properly. After fifteen minutes of mixing, it didn't have the consistency that she was counting on. It was still very running, a little too runny for her liking.

She growled in defeat and split the mixture between two tins, shoving it in the preheated oven and crossing her fingers in hope of the best.

She was cleaning up all the bits she'd used and by the time she'd scrubbed of all the muck, it had been twenty minutes and the oven beeped for attention. She excited ran to take out the trays, but her excitement didn't last long. A little smoke puffed out of the cooker and when she reached inside, she returned with a baking tray and a flat that that was crispy and black at the edges.

"Oh god, no." She put the tray on the side and thumped the counter lightly with her head; only she could managed to ruin a cake as simple as Victoria sponge.

She looked up at the clock; more than an hour had passed so she had just less than two hours to make another. She hurried to gather the ingredients, only to discover to her dismay that there wasn't enough left to make another.

***

"Unsalted butter where are you..." She muttered to herself impatiently as her eyes scanned the fridge shelves. She knew she was useless at shopping, and so far her search was failing miserably and costing her valuable time.

She grumbled to herself in frustration before a slab of butter appeared before her eyes. She jumped back slightly in surprise then gingerly took it, reading the label and realising it was unsalted butter.

"Is that what you were looking for?" A familiar voice appeared besides her and she froze in shock.

"Yes, thank you," She mumbled and turned to leave without lifting her eyes from the basket.

An arm blocked her exit and she sighed. "I was just shopping with my mum," He said in an attempt to start converstation, but she didn't reply. "I feel like you're avoiding me. You left the barbecue too."

"Well you're right, I am," She answered, finally looking up. Her stomach churned with butterflies as her eyes met his and she tried her best not to get lost in his deep, sea blue eyes. They echoed his hurt at her words and she felt as if she'd been punched in the stomach knowing she'd caused it.