Chapter 2 - Falling at your feet

He's Mine

Chapter 2 – Falling at your feet

"Time for school!"

Claire pulled open her daughter's curtains, so the sun shone brightly onto Harmony. She groaned, pulling the sheets above her head.

"Oh, no you don't!" Without warning, the sheets were ripped from her and she shivered, already missing the cocoon of warmth she'd created. "I'm not going to tell you to get up again." With that, she left the room, leaving Harmony to slowly wake up and adjust to the morning.

She hurried downstairs, once dressed, to get herself a bowl of Frosties. Just as she was finishing her cereal, her mother walked in wearing her work clothes.

"Oh, but the way, I need to tell you something," She said, biting down on her bottom lip.

"What have you done?" Claire asked, narrowing her eyes at her daughter.

Harmony's eyes went wide, "How did you-?"

"You always need to tell me bad news when you bite your lip," Claire interrupted, a knowing twinkle in her eye.

Harmony immediately released her lip and ran her tongue along it with a laugh. "Um, well, you know Mrs Humble?"

"Yes, the teacher who's not so humble..."

"I have a detention after school because I stepped in a second after the bell. It was only one second though! I was on time but there was a rush of people and I was waiting patiently and-"

Claire held her hand up to silence Harmony, who she smiled timidly at her mother. "It is fine; I believe you. She isn't a particularly nice teacher and you do well in school right now, just be careful it won't happen again."

"It won't!" Harmony promised, leaning in to kiss her cheek.

Claire and Harmony had always been close, more so than with her father. Although they had the same warm, brown eyes, Claire's hair was shiny and auburn, much bolder compared to Harmony's brown hair inherited from her father. Claire was always joking about how she wanted Harmony's skin though, never liking her pale and freckled skin. On the other hand, Harmony complained that she wished she had her hair, always jealous of the fiery effect in the sun.

"I've got to go now sweetie, I'll be a bit late coming home, and so do you mind cooking dinner tonight? I know you'll have the detention but I'll be back around seven."

Harmony nodded and passed her the lunchbox that was on the side. Claire slipped it in her bag, kissed her daughters cheek and waved goodbye before leaving the house. Harmony listened as she heard the car drive away, and then went upstairs to brush her teeth.

When ready, she picked up her bag and walked out of the house, remembering to lock the door behind her. The warm sun was shining that morning, making Harmony smile while she was consumed in her thoughts.

Eventually she came to the school gates, where she could see her friends standing outside. Her eyes first settled on Blake, who was supported by the metal fence and had his headphones in, blocking out the sounds of everyone else. His hair was almost as black as the night sky and his eyes were a silvery grey that always sparkled when he laughed. He was very slim, but Harmony found him extremely handsome and endearing in quite a mysterious way. As a fairly closed off and detached person, it was easy to be drawn in by his subtle and unintended charm. A few girls were glancing at him, fluttering their lashes in the hope that they'd catch his attention, but all attempts were futile as he stayed caught up in his own bubble.

Jordan and Elliot were talking animatedly about a program they saw last night. Jordan had curly, auburn hair with light green eyes and pale skin. Harmony noticed the way she took a keen interest in Elliot, always trying her best to catch his attention.