Chapter 8 - The rooftop

He's Mine

Chapter 8 – The rooftop

The week had passed slowly but finally Friday rolled round.

Harmony was already up, fully dressed and staring out her window when her mother walked in to wake her up. She was looking down on the garden, listening to the bird's early morning songs through the slightly ajar window and thinking of the times when it used to be her, her mother and her father. She didn't know it then, she didn't see the strain in their relationship; she thought they were happy and content.

"Oh, darling," Claire said, surprised to see her daughter awake and ready so early, "in a rush?"

Harmony looked up at her mum, who was studying her with curious brown eyes. "No, I just woke up a little early and couldn't get back to sleep," She explained softly, "I'll make us some breakfast now."

Claire was still in her dressing down and watched as Harmony walked past her and down the stairs. Curious, she thought to herself, before she went to get ready anyway.

As she descended the stairs, fully dress in her smart suit, she could smell the eggs. She entered the kitchen and smiled at her daughter, who was currently standing by the cooker with an egg in the frying pan.

"Ready for an egg?" Harmony asked her mother, looking up from the frying pan.

"Oh you spoil me Harmony," Claire laughed, picking up a plate with two buttered slices of bread. Harmony added the egg to her mother's plate, and then cracked another egg in the pan for herself.

"Um, Harmony," Claire spoke just as she finished half of her sandwich.

Harmony glanced up at her mum. "Yes?" The egg was now cooked so she made her own sandwich and was sat across from Claire. "Yes, Mum?"

Claire was biting her lip softly so Harmony instantly knew she was nervous, which only confused her. "Would you like to go out for a meal tomorrow night?" Claire finally asked, speaking the question slowly.

"Sounds good, where were you thinking?" Harmony tucked into her food, taking small mouthfuls.

"I was thinking that Chinese buffet in town, but is it okay if my...friend...comes along too?" Harmony was oblivious to her mother's hesitation on the word 'friend' and just nodded her head. "They'll be bringing their son too; so it'll be the four of us."

"Sounds great to me," Harmony said. She'd finished her breakfast already and looked down to see her mother still had half her sandwich left. "You're a slow eater this morning. I'd sit with you, but I don't want to be late for school."

She kissed her mother's cheek then hurried out of the room to brush her teeth. Ten minutes later, she was ready to leave and heading out of the house, calling a quick goodbye to her mother over her shoulder before closing the door.

She sighed heavily when she was outside, closing her eyes to take a deep breath before starting towards school. It had been four days since she had spoken to Blake and things hadn't gotten any easier.

Harmony managed to avoid having any alone time with Alex, besides science where she focused intently on her work and he was lucky to get a word from her. Around others, she was able to force a smile and laugh along for a while, but then eventually it would get too much and Blake was always by her side if she needed to get away.

He was becoming her rock to lean on and she couldn't be more grateful that he was there. Since their talk, it was clear to everyone that they'd gotten closer by the worrying glances he'd send her way when Alex was around or the way that he'd wrap his arm comfortingly round her shoulder whenever she needed the support.