Chapter23 You Simply Can't Go All Edward Cullen On People.

____Everley's POV____

I sat in painful awkwardness with my face propped up on one hand. The tray in front of me looked like the doppleganger of the one, our lunch-lady handed me.

I didn't really feel like eating.

The normal chatter at our table was oblivious as I tried to digest the reality. Jacob was nowhere to be found in the cafeteria; not even at Kyler Johnson's table.

As Ashley's best friend, people thought it was compulsory for me to be able to read her intentions and emotions at one glance.

Sadly that wasn't the case most of the times.

Ashley was a difficult person to read. For example right now, her face looked blank and dead. With experience all I could say was that maybe she was angry, bored, guilty, irritated or... depressed.

She wasn't the kind to mask sadness with its opposite feeling. She liked to keep it to herself and not radiate fake assurance.

Suffice to say, I was caught between a zoned out best friend, Jay's empty seat and a cuddly couple.

Mentally slapping my hand against the forehead for what seemed like the tenth time, I snuck a glance at Jasmine and Nick. Nick thought his lap could prove more comfortable than Jasmine's seat. Hence, she was sitting on him acting no less than a giggle machine while he nuzzled his nose into her black hair. Nick was whispering inaudibly - something cute and sweet probably - while his girlfriend fed him fries.

Peter had caught the flu and wasn't here to share my desolation.

But amongst everything ridiculous, I found myself smiling at Nick and Jasmine's couple-yness.

It made me feel all warm as I watched their eyes sparkle. Sure they weren't completely and utterly in love but everyone with eyes could see how special they tried to make each other feel.

Turning my head back to the front I saw Ashley looking at them too. Her eyes held longing and what I would call as the opposite of hope.

Mindless teasing aside, it was obvious how much Jacob's leave had affected her. I still didn't know what was wrong with them since they won't even tell me.

A small group of girls passed by our table, talking in rushed whispers and pointing at my best friend. Ashley noticed them, but pretended to ignore. Her tray looked just as untouched as mine did; empty, gray eyes wandering around for a distraction. Her line of vision settled on something as she scowled. Following that direction I watched a guy staring at her with suggestive looks, trailing his eyes on her and flexing bulgy muscles every minute.

I couldn't imagine how tedious being Ashley Howards was.

I watched her tiredly. Her eyes followed Nick and Jasmine's stature to the creepy guy and back to the whispering girls who were now sat near us. She let out a little scoff before standing up in a flash, marching off to the dumpster and trashing the whole tray in the bin. She looked at me before nodding slightly and rushing out of the canteen.

Feeling bad for the food she threw, I started chewing on the edible stuff in my tray. I may not be able to read the bad girl's feelings half the time but unfortunately for her, I was always a professional observer.

I ate my lunch as fast as I could, texting Ash to meet me by my locker before the bell.

I turned to face my friends."Um.. guys?"

Jasmine giggled again. "Er.. Nick?" His face emerged from his girlfriend's midnight black hair as I finally caught the lovely couple's attention.

"I'm leaving for now... I have some unfinished work to be done right away..." If they were bothered that I was leaving them alone, they didn't show it.