Chapter8 Did The Badass Just Blush? Yeah, Go Call Me Sweety.

___Ashley's POV___

After the bumping and chatting with Jacob, I wasted no time and hurried to 'OUR HOME'.

"Sorry, Chels I got stuck up somewhere. How're the kids? They must be waiting for me. Have they gone to bed already?" I asked the caretaker, Chelsea, all in one breath.

"Relax, Ashley" she told me chuckling. I was pacing around the reception. I kept my purse and my phone in Chelsea's custody. "They have half an hour more for their bedtime. They've had their dinner already. Nathan is in, with the kids" she stated, pointing to the 'Entertainment' room'.

I nodded and smiled at her. She nodded back and grinned at me. Chelsea was a darling. She was a short, stout, middleaged, brunette. She always had her cooking apron on. It was her dad and a group of his friends who started this orphange when they came back to their hometown after earning their fortunes abroad. As time went by, they passed away and left this orphange to their next generation. Some of their kids, who couldn't give their time to 'OUR HOME', were involved as Trusties and the rest had settled down in different parts of the country. They did visit Chelsea once in a while but, she alone is the main pillar of the orphange. She's still a spinster, she doesn't want to leave these kids and they are her only family. She has visits on every anniversary of the orphanage. They're teens, some have jobs while some take out time and spend christmas at 'OUR HOME', where THEY themselves grew up, started off as orphans but came out as beautiful, young people.

Nathan is one of them. He spent his childhood HERE, and then took an appartment downtown, when he was a legal adult. During the time, when I volunteered here, a 'sort of' friendship flourished between us. He worked part-time at some diner and then helps Chelsea with the kids, ever since he moved out. He doesn't know anything about my past. Neither does he know about my life at Prestige High.

We usually make small talk and chat about random stuff. From sports to music. But it mainly involves the kids, here. He is quiet, but intelligent, sometimes ignorant, but caring too. He always told me that I can talk to him if I have any problems other than 'girl talk'. But then.....the thing is that, we aren't THAT close and its difficult for me to trust people.

I have build these emotional walls around me. I don't want anybody to penetrate into them. I'm afraid of being cheated on, left out, used......

Right now, we're watching Tom And Jerry along with all kids here. "Alley, can we please play something?" a little Jess asks me. Alley was their petname for me. It didn't sound badgirl like 'Ash' did. "Sure" I reply and tap Nathan on the shoulder. He doesn't seem to feel it. He is too engrossed in watching the cartoon, more than the kids even.

I giggle lightly and wack him on the head. "Ow!" he groaned, rubbing the back of his head. The kids just laughed and clapped their hands. I was laughing too, the kids seemed to enjoy our antics more than Tom And Jerry. "What?" he snapped, giving me a glare.

"The kids are bored of the cat and the rat. Lets play something" I suggested, shrugging my shoulders. He nodded and got up from the floor. "Well, kiddos. What do guys wanna play?" Nathan asked the tiny people. They all started screaming suggestions on top of their voices and waved their hands to grab Nathan's attention. He too, was waving his arms and asking them to talk one at a time. But to no avail.

I smiled and got up from the floor. Switching off the television, I placed a finger on my lips and shushed them. Everyone was quiet within seconds. Nathan had his mouth open and he was looking at me with an impressed expression. I shrugged and grinned at him. I just had this thing to make the kids quiet, he always had to struggle with them. "Okay so, since in another fifteen minutes you guys have to go to sleep..." I said and there were groans and protests everywhere. They always had fun when Nathan was around and it was a hard task to make them go to bed. "Why not, spend these precious fifteen minutes, doing something enjoyable.......?" I winked at them and smirked at Nathan. All the kids cheered in glee and got up from the floor. Nathan had his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What are you...Oh My God!! Not AGAIN!" he groaned and took to his heels, running out of the room.