Chapter Twenty Five

Author's note; There is a bit of a cliffhanger in this chapter and I am struggling a little with the next chapter so just to warn you.  If all goes well, I will update the next one on Monday x

January marked a new month, a new year and the start of Yori's hiatus in preparation for his next heat.  His fertile time came every sixteen weeks, not quite four times a year, but more than three. 

He hurried to finish his current book, not wanting to worry about it as he entered his seclusion and as he sent it to the Chief editor, he couldn't help feel that it was a little rough.  However, the man praised him until he became flush with embarrassment over the man's flattering words.  He took the time to let the man know that he would be unavailable for three weeks and fortunately, due to the Chief's existing awareness regarding Yori's habitual absences a few times a year, he said not to worry about it and he would speak to him when he was ready.

Yori released a sighing breath of relief.  So different was the treatment he experienced from this man and Tatsuya, even though neither were told about his reasons.  He sent the series of usual texts, but paused when it came to one particular message.

Ryota's name was a top the unsent text.  Yori deleted the text and replaced it with a different one.

"Are you free tonight for dinner?"

Ryota didn't immediately reply, he was working today after all, but when he did it was with an affirmative and an added message that he was looking forward to seeing Yori tonight.  The omega couldn't help the smile that immediately appeared upon his face.  There was no doubts now in his mind, that he loved Ryota, that he was in love with the warm, persistent Alpha.  Which is why he felt that he wanted to speak to Ryota about his heat rather than just sending a text message and disappearing for three weeks.

Also, he instinctively felt that this heat would be different, that he would be different.  Before, he had never felt the passion to be found in another's arms, had never been touched except by himself, he had no idea what it was his body had been longing for each heat.  But now he knew, his body knew and he doubted that even with the suppressants his need would be diminished this time around.  And so the temptation to invite Ryota to help him ride out this heat was at the back of his mind.  However, he also felt that this would be selfish of him.

If an omega went into heat in front of an Alpha, his alluring pheromones would cause a reaction within the Alpha, who would go into his own sort of rut.  The Alpha would seek to dominate the omega and might even seek to make a permanent claim, biting the omega's neck and making it impossible for the omega to be with another sexually for the rest of their life.  While Yori could not imagine being with another, he also didn't want to burden Ryota with that sort of responsibility either.  Not that Ryota couldn't find another partner if he wished to after claiming Yori, just that Yori wouldn't want Ryota weighed down by guilt that the omega would not be able to as well.

Yori rubbed his suddenly aching chest.  The thought of Ryota moving on beyond him left a bitter taste in his mouth.  He didn't like it.

With a sigh, he sent out a few more texts, hoping that he had just about covered everyone, before running up stairs to take a shower.  It was nearing lunchtime, but Yori had just spent the entire night and morning organising his matters and he was now feeling the effects.  That and he had taken his first suppressant that morning so the wooziness from the little white pill might be contributing.

After showering, he dozed off on his bed for a couple of hours to be awoken by the insistent ringing of the doorbell.  Yori peered through weary eyes at his alarm clock and groaned.  Was Ryota early?  He wondered if he should get the man his own door key and was startled by his own thoughts.  He shook the idea away from his sleepy mind.  It was probably too soon in their relationship to consider such things.