Chapter Five

The Cafe was unusually busy for the time of day, with all of the tables having at least one occupant and a queue lingered at the counter.  Each customer seemed to take an age deciding which beverage to have and whether or not to purchase a cake or pastry.  Others lingered longer, hoping to take a seat at a table, but most had to depart in the end.  The table occupiers seemed to procrastinate for just as long a time over their empty cups and plates until Aisha or one of the other servers came to clear away the table, making them clearly aware that they were loitering overly long.  Ryota Greeneward felt his curiosity peak and offered a wide smile to Keko as he reached the counter.

   "Hey there, sis," he said, warmly.

   "One espresso to go?" She stated as she saw him.

   "Ouch, not even a 'hello' for your favourite brother?" He asked, pouting slightly.

   "Here's your espresso, please pay at the til," she said, passing him the drink in its paper cup.

   "Don't mind her, Ryota," Aisha murmured from behind him.  "She's just in a bad mood." 

   "What happened?" He asked as he passed a handful of change to the cashier.  Aisha stepped aside to allow a customer to pass, before indicating that they both should move away from the crowded counter.  He followed her towards the kitchen door, his eyes becoming drawn to the lone occupant of the table nearest it.

   "Some rumour began about a well-known novelist being a frequent patron of the shop," Aisha said.  "And now all these people are coming here in hopes of catching glimpse of someone famous."

   "Said someone shouldn't have kept having meetings here with said someone's editor," muttered Keko, who having followed them then entered the kitchen.

   "We can't be certain that's what started the rumour!" Aisha called in after her.

   "But I'm sure it didn't help!" Keko retorted, from behind the closed door.

   "Anyway, while it has been good for business in some ways," Aisha admitted, "but we have been completely rushed off of our feet and we've all had to work through our lunch breaks."

   "Ah," Ryota said, knowing all too well how grouchy Keko became when she was hungry.  "So... is the rumour true?"

   Aisha gave him a long look.  "Do celebrities visit your hotel and do you share such information with the public knowing that they might value some privacy?"

   "Touché," Ryota replied.  A loud crash came from the kitchen, causing Aisha to dive through the door to see what had occurred.  Ryota stepped back and glanced again at the table nearby.  The man who sat there seemed oblivious to his surroundings as he tapped away on his laptop.  His coffee cup was empty, but he seemed in no rush to leave.  Ryota had seen him here on other occasions, a willowy built individual with pale skin and long dark hair, usually tied at the nape of his neck.  His glasses were loose upon his nose, causing him to adjust them upon his slender bridge frequently as he stared at the screen.  He paused for a moment and frowned as he noticed his cup was empty.  "May I sit here?" Ryota asked, seizing the window of opportunity.  The man blinked, his black eyes widening for a moment, but nodded slightly before looking away.     "I don't suppose you are this famous novelist?"

   "Huh?" The man responded, questioningly.  "Oh, that rumour?  I never thought such a vague rumour could cause such a hype."

   "And that's just a vague rumour," Ryota pointed out.  "If a known Ikeman such as Zack Donahue were to grace this place with his presence, there would be no room to breathe in here."  The man chuckled, the quiet sound lost in the background chatter, but still managed to trickle over his flesh.  "I'm surprised that you haven't had people crowding you, seeing as you've been working here."