Chapter Twenty Four

The snowflakes were not some prelude of white deluge and when the two men woke the following morning, it was to a mere dusting of snow.  Therefore their drive back to the city was a mostly unimpeded one.

Ryota lingered for the remainder of the day in Yori's home as his lover sat at his table hunched over his laptop, his mind completely focused upon his writing to the exclusion of everything else.  He came out of his creative daze a few times to find that he had been presented with a sandwich or a glass of water.  No coffee was forthcoming as Ryota's talents in that area could be scored in the negative, but Yori paid this no mind.  It was the first time he had felt so relaxed and contented in another's company.  Not even Keko's cafe could he let his barriers fall so completely and lose himself to his work in the presence of another.

Ryota did not mention once the lack of attention he received while in his lover's company.  Instead, he felt honoured that Yori had revealed this side of himself to him.  However, as evening approached, he admitted to himself that he felt a little neglected and took it upon himself to remind Yori that he was still here.  The opportunity arose when Yori rubbed at his neck after almost an hour of sheer concentration upon a tricky chapter.  Two strong, warm hands began to kneed and massage the aching spots causing Yori to groan in appreciation.  As the calloused thumbs pressed firmly along the back of Yori's neck, the omega realised that he no longer had any will to write, so saved his work and closed down the laptop before succumbing completely to Ryota's touch.

After that, they cooked a simple meal together, a mildly spicy curry and a heated serving of rice.  Their chairs at the table were pressed closer than necessary as they ate their meal with small talk and casual brushes against each other.  After cleaning away the mess in the kitchen and stowing their dishes lazily into the dishwasher, Ryota gave a hefty sigh and stated that he should probably think about returning to the hotel.  He had to return to work in the morning.

With heavy, slow steps, Ryota made his way reluctantly to the front door with Yori silently stepping in his wake, the latter equally discontented that Ryota had to leave. He watched with an aching heart as Ryota tied his shoes and reached for his coat. Inwardly, he smiled wryly. How easily could he become dependant on this man? As easily as he had fallen for his sway and charm?

They shared a sweet, chaste kiss, but one that was still filled with longing, before Ryota left Yori's house for the bitterly cold night air. Yori shut his door with a sigh, feeling suddenly downcast.  He placed his forehead against the door for a moment, before taking a breath and pushing away from it.  Despondently, he dragged his feet to his staircase, thinking he might as well go to bed for an early night.  Just as he took his first step onto the first stair, there was a knock at the front door.

Peering through the peep hole he shook his head and opened the door.  Ryota rushed back in and slammed the door behind him before picking up a laughing Yori in his arms and climbing the stairs to the bedroom.

*****

Yori was facing a slight dilemma. Christmas was fast approaching and he'd been invited to spend the holiday with people. Actually, that was not an entirely new experience. Uncle Himura usually requested an invitation each year, although he just wished for an excuse not to be bombarded with his many family members, who suddenly remembered him and his wealth at this time of year. If he was at Yori's home, those relatives would not be able to find him. For several years, Keko and Aisha invited Yori to spend Christmas with them and their families, not wishing that anyone be alone on this holiday, though Yori had not actually done so yet.

This year was no different in regards to these invites, however this year both Ryota and Yori's brother Hideaki had called him to share the holiday with them as well.  They were not making it easy with Hideaki mentioned that he wished to share good news with his baby brother on top of this being the first holiday to be celebrated since they had been reunited and Ryota said that he wanted to spend the day with his boyfriend. More so, Ryota had decided to add that this would be his first year taking Christmas and Boxing Day off since he had taken over the hotel as manager.