In another world; ch 7

I searched and searched, for 5 hours straight. With small bathroom breaks in between every other hour. I had found nothing. I had no hope left. I wanted to give up. I sighed, and looked at Ryan. His lips were slightly parted, and he was sleeping like a baby, his hair falling perfectly around his face. He looked relaxed, and he was snoring quietly. I smiled, and decided to shower.

With a towel wrapped around my chest, I walked out to my room. I bent down to pick up Ryan's bloody clothes, deciding to wash them. I walked down the stairs, throwing the clothes into the washer, and sitting on top of it. I sighed, and the door opened. I looked to see an excited looking Chasity. "Where you've been?" I asked her. "Cheer." She simply said. "Oh, Zac came earlier. He said he needed help with homework." She rolled her eyes, and said, "I'm starving. Where's your clothes?" She asked, while pinching my leg. I giggled, and said, "I just got out of the shower. Hence, the towel." She giggled, and ran up the stairs. I decided to follow her, only going into my room. She walked in too, and saw Ryan. "Who's he?!" She said. "That's Ryan, my best friend!" I screeched. She looked at him, from head to toe. "He's hot." She said, simply. I growled. "What the hell was that, Juliet?" She asked. I shook my head, saying, "Stay away from him. You have a guy already!" She always did this. Guy friends I always hung out with, or I actually liked, she always had to get them before me. She always ended up liking my friends, and those were one of the reasons I hated her. "Whatever." She rolled her eyes, walking out the room. I quickly slammed the door in her face, and locked it. I was fuming mad. My heart was pounding, and I felt like crying. "Don't do that, not now." I muttered under my breath. I walked over to the closet, and picked out a pair of sweat pants, that hid my so called 'perfect curves.' I didn't like wearing things that would bring attention to my body, I hated compliments. I quickly threw on undergarments and gray sweatpants. Then, I threw on a tight blue shirt, that I probably shrunk in the wash. I shrugged, and looked down at the shirt. There was a dinosaur on the tee, and I smiled. I walked over to the mirror, and brushed through my long brown hair, which was now wavy. I hummed a tune that my mother had always done when I was little and she brushed my hair. My mother sang it to me in French. I knew the song by heart. I just started the lullaby.

"Entendez-vous dans la plaine, Ce bruit venant jusqu'à nous? On dirait un bruit de chaîne Se traînant sur les cailloux. C'est le grand Lustukru qui passe, Qui repasse et s'en ira, Emportant dans sa besace, Tous les petits gâs, Qui ne dorment pas!" Now, my eyes were shut tight. I opened them again, staring at myself wide eyed in the mirror. I looked like my mother, in so many ways. I couldn't rip my eyes away from my reflection. "Quelle est cette voix démente Qui traverse nos volets? Non, ce n'est pas la tourmente. Qui joue avec les galets: C'est le grand Lustukru qui gronde, Qui gronde ... et bientôt rira. En ramassant à la ronde, Tous les petits gâs. Qui ne dorment pas!" I was now shouting back at my reflection. I lifted my hand to my face, and rubbed my cheek. It was burning hot. Then, I made a dash to the laptop. "search, search search," I kept repeating. I needed to find out what those words meant. My mother never dared to tell me, for she would always say, "You will find out when the time comes." I've never heard anyone else spoke those words but her, they sounded scary when she sang it. I stopped myself. "What am I doing?" I asked myself. I had no time for this. I needed to find out if I could find out what was going on, these 'powers.' I wanted to see if what the nurse said was true. I walked slowly over to Ryan. I moved the blanket, which revealed his... Healed stomach. There were no cits, nor blood.. It was gone. I put a hand over my mouth, before I screamed. I picked up his arm. It was in the perfect position. I shook him gently. "Ryan! Wake up!" I said. He moaned, and then groaned. "What Julie?" He called me Julie for short. Never knew why, but he always got mad if someone else tried calling me it. "Look, your body is healed!" I said, a bit too loudly. He looked down at himself, touching his chest where there had been bites and cuts and scratches. He stared back at me. "You can stop looking at me.." He chuckled. I smacked his shoulder. "Don't laugh! This is a serious matter!" I sat on the floor, and grabbed the laptop. I opened the hometown book store, and looked for anything that would have to do with Legends, or 'powers.' I wasn't so sure of this yet. Maybe I was dreaming. Maybe my mother hadn't really died. Maybe, none of this was real. Maybe, just maybe, my sister wasn't the biggest bitch I've ever met.

I found a 600 page book, that had something to do with morphing, unusual powers, or changes of the human body. Lycans, and probably shape shifters. What the hell? This stuff couldn't be real, I thought. I shook my head, and started stripping out of my big gray hoodie. "Woah, woah, where are you going?" Ryan said, getting up perfectly as if no damage has ever been done to him. "I'm going to the bookstore. Stay." I said, and looked outside. I quickly stripped out of my hot sweatpants, and put on a blue floral skirt. Hell, I would only be out for 5 minutes, why not? I then threw on a white blouse. "You look pretty." Ryan said, nodding his head. I rolled my eyes at him, and he grabbed my hand. "I want to come!" He pouted. I shook my head, and he moved closer. "Please," He breathed. I shook my head, slower this time, taken back by how close he was. Now, he moved way closer, I could take in his breath. Smelled like mint gum. "Please." He said, his breath caressing my neck. Now, he stared at my lips. I looked down, and said, "Okay, fine! Just put on a shirt!" I pushed him away, and he howled in laughter, saying "Yes!" I smiled to myself, picking up my cellphone, and my bag. I slung it around my shoulder, and said, "Your shirts in the washing machine." He nodded, and we walked down the stairs, him closely behind me. I stopped, dead in my tracks. My dad was sitting on the couch, watching TV. He hasn't really talked to or seen Ryan before, plus he was shirtless, which probably was gonna make it look even worst. My dad's head turned, and Ryan bumped into me. "Ow," He muttered. "Hi daddy.." I said, biting my lip. He didn't even look at me. He looked at the kid hovering behind me, who was probably trying to hold in laughs. "Who's this?" My father said, getting up. "this is Ryan, my best friend." I said quickly. My father nodded, and stepped toward us again. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Hope." Ryan said, putting his hand out to shake my daddy's hand. My dad shook his head, and Ryan rubbed his hands on his pants. "Well.." My dad said. "Come on." i said, pulling Ryan with me into the laundry room. "Embarrassing." I muttered, ad getting Ryan's shirt from out the dryer. He was sitting on the table, and said, "Nah. I'm used to that." I walked over to him, and gave him his shirt. He pushed it back to me, and said, "Put it on me." With a smirk. I looked away. "I'm not going to do that. My daddy just saw you half naked, what do you think he thinks?" Ryan shrugged, and I cursed under my breath. He smiled, and said, "You still have to do it." I sighed, and said, "Lift your arms up." He looked at me once more. His muscles were flexed perfectly, and he had a six pack.. I couldn't tear my eyes away from his stomach. He snapped. "Uh, I'm up here!" He said, and I looked back at him. He lifted his arms, and I moved closer to him, going to put his shirt on. Then, he put an arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him. "Juliet?" He asked. I swallowed, and replied, "Yes?" He looked at me in the eyes. "Are you attracted to me?" He moved a piece of hair that was falling in my face. I shook my head, no. I was probably the biggest liar ever. I was attracted to him, I was just too stubborn to admit it. "Oh." He said, taken back. "Well," He said, taking his shirt from my hands, and throwing it on. "Let's go." He took my car keys from my bag, and began walking out the house. I trudged out behind him, my father staring at me, looking sympathetic. What did he know? He can't help me with anything. I sighed, and walked outside, where Ryan was already starting up the car.

"Put your seatbelt on." He muttered. I quickly obeyed. I had a car, but I didn't like driving. I'd gotten into a really serious car accident, and ended up being knocked into coma for 4 weeks. During those 4 weeks, my mother was dead. I haven't been driving, of course. I was only 5. My mama was in the front seat, singing along to the radio. My father was talking on the phone, and my sister and I had been in the back seat, seatbelts on, and were grinning ear to ear. Somebody hit us, and I was knocked out. I heard screaming, but then passed out. I closed my eyes, and whispered to myself. We zoomed off, quietly, with no talking. I turned on the heart, because it was getting cold in Vancouver. I grabbed my black button up jacket in the back seat, and shrugged into it. "Where are we going again?" Ryan whispered. "Bookstore." I said, and he nodded slightly. Within minutes, we were there. I hopped out of the car, and Ryan turned up my radio, drumming his fingers against the driver's wheel. I looked at him, but he avoided my gaze. When I did get a glimpse of him, hurt, disappointment, sadness, was all I saw in his face and eyes. "I'm sorry.." i whispered to him, but he probably didn't hear it. I grabbed my bag, and walked to the bookstore stairs.