Don't Judge A Book By its Cover

Jee POV

I take one last look at my reflection and place my glasses over my eyes. My loose black waves were braided into two ponytails and my forehead was concealed with a bang. I needed to make sure that nobody recognized me at the village because it was imperative to make sure Sathit wouldn't force Yay to leave. 

When I reached Yays small shack which she called home I was greeted with the emptiness and the sound of silence. Nobody was home and there was no sound or trail left to find them. As I searched through Yays house, I caught Pan in the kitchen cooking some food. I approached Pan trying to act as a lost stranger.

"um h-hi there,"

Pan turns around to face me and I reach out my hand. Rejecting my handshake, Pan dives in and hugs me. 

"Jee I am so happy to see you, the lawyer is discussing what to do with the land outside,"

Ignoring my red face full of embarrassment because of my weak disguise, he grabs my hand and leads me outside. All of the villagers were standing on the overgrown grass intently listening and watching Sathit and the owner of the land. I couldn't hear what was going on because I was too faraway, but I just knew Sathit would be doing no good. Determined to stop Sathit from talking to the owner, I bravely start walking towards them hoping to distract them. Before I could do anything, Pan grabs my hand and pulls me back.

"Jee stop Mr Lawyer is talking to the owner, he is helping us, dont disturb him please."

"Pan you don't understand, he isn't helping you he is going to give the house away to the owner, I have to stop him,"

Pan gives me a confused look but still continues to grip my hand.

"Jee I don't know what your problem with you and Mr Lawyer but I know enough that Mr Lawyer is a good person and I know he wouldn't do anything like that."

"Pan please you have to - "

My words were cut off by the loud cheers of villagers. The villagers were celebrating and hugging Sathit, but why, he was going to send them away.

As the villagers starting moving back inside the house, I quickly run into the house and hide underneath the kitchen table. I secretly watched everything. Yay was celebrating with Sathit and while Yay was dancing with Sathit I saw him do something that I couldn't even imagine in my dreams he would do. Smile. Seeing Sathit deep dimples, white shiny teeth and his happiness made me feel weird on the inside, I didn't know what it was. As I continued watching, Pan joined me underneath the table.

"Pan what happened, why is everyone so happy?"

"Apparently Sathit has made this contract with the owner that the villagers will move out if he allows 3 months in advance for them to find a home and if he pays the remaining rent and the owner had agreed."

I felt a large throb in my heart as if someone had just stabbed me in the heart. Even though Sathit hadn't betrayed me, yay would still be leaving me and I couldn't afford to lose my only real family member. 

Sathit POV

A smile rose across my face as I watched the villagers jubilantly celebrate their triumphant victory. I never intended to do anything bad to the villagers in the first place; my only motive was to frighten Jee, to make her feel inferior to me. Even if she didn't care about these villagers, I did, I would never do such a thing maybe to even Jee. 

By 6 o'clock, all of the villagers had retreated to their homes having soar arms and legs from dancing so much; I also had heavy legs from dancing along with the villagers. I dragged myself to my car, emphasizing every step that I take with a 'thump.' When I was 10 meters from my car, I heard faint sobbing coming from Jee's grandmothers house. Forgetting my drowsiness,  I inquisitively  creep down to Jee house until I could clearly hear everything that was being said. 

"Yay when I was young and we used to be poor, my mom would leave me alone in the house and leave to hang out with men. She would leave me hungry for hours sometimes even days but you came and fed me, gave up your own food so I would be full. When I needed a new school uniform you sold your only pot to so I could go to school. Yay you are my only have left please don't leave me, please."

"Jee I am the only one who knows your history, your story, if I stay people could find out that you were born in a slum and that would ruin your entire reputation and anyways I am a big burden on you anyways so it's better that I leave. Now honey stop crying you look better when your smiling. "

Maybe I was wrong about Jee, from what I can see she really does have a heart. Jee heart might not only be made entirely of stone and hatred, who knows, there might be some room for love.

After crying in her Yays arm for a while Jee decided go home to get some rest. I followed Jee back to her car, scrutinizing her every move. As jee was about to get in car I started talking to her.

"you know, I didn't know you could love anyone, "

As she hears my voice for a moment she pauses for a moment and turn around to face me. Her eyes were red and swollen and her face was pale. Her hair was scrunched up into a messy bun and she looked like she just came out of trash.

"Sathit go away, I dont want to argue with you right now,"

"I can't believe seriously, I didn't know you could love anyone,"

When I said that her expression changed almost immediately. Her tired resting face turned into a smirk with a sinister vibe. Her back straightened increasing her height. She started strolling toward me. 

"Sathit you are a fool, you think that you've made me sad by doing this but really you've just helped me get rid of the only person who knows my secret, in fact instead of being angry at you I should be thanking you. "

Anger swelled up inside of me, as she was about to turn around to enter her car I grabbed her arms and forced her eye to look at mine. 

"I feel disgusted just talking to you, I knew you were an evil creature but I didn't know that were so sinister that you would even plot against your own Grandmother. " 

I let go of her and stormed off. I couldn't believe that I almost though Jee was nice person, I feel ashamed of myself for even thinking that though. Any of my affection for Jee has completely vanished and it will never come back. 

Welcome everyone to another beautiful chapter. I can't believe that we have already reached 2k read, everything is just happening so fast.  Thank you to Blueray24MuskanWavejustinejoy699DanyellaJoyaaa and BLUERISHSLAYS for adding this story to this reading list. Big appreciations towards Ahyessa_15 for voting, commenting and adding this story to her reading list, I loved talking to you. To all the others, I can't stress enough how much I appreciate everyone to who contributes to this story, whenever I see notifications of people voting and commenting or even just reading this story, my hearts warm up on the inside.