Lovesick

You want to call her name. You'd shout it if doing so wouldn't alert the guards.

Wielding the knife you took from the sorceress, as well as a pickaxe you 'borrowed' from Kristoff's sled, you begin to scale the building.

You don't care how dangerous or reckless this is. You need to see her.

The higher you get, the faster your heart beats. Whether out of fear of falling or because each step brings you closer to Elsa, you can't be certain. Maybe it's both.

What you do know without a doubt, though, is that you can't wait to again utter those two syllables which form her name.

You've missed hearing the gentle warmth of her voice, her laugh, her singing to herself when she thinks nobody is listening.

You long to feel the softness of her skin, the light tickle of her braid as she kisses you.

And her scent. Cool and intoxicating, like freshly fallen snow.

Excitement bubbles within you as you climb. You're a mere few feet away from placing your hand on the balcony railings.

You stop to glance up at Elsa.

She's the embodiment of poise, as usual. Yet unlike the smiling queen of your memories, her eyes are so despondent as she gazes out at the stars, that observing her expression fills your heart with anguish.

She must be lost deep in thought to have not even noticed the increasing sound of a knife and pickaxe digging into the castle wall.

"Psst, Elsa," you say, breaking her concentration and causing her to wonder if she's hearing things. "Down here."

The queen's eyes widen in alarm. She looks around and swallows. "Wh-Who's there?" she demands shakily, ice at her fingertips.

"It's me."

She recognises your voice. It couldn't be, could it?

Narrowing her eyes, she steps cautiously towards the edge of the balcony.

Without warning you pull yourself up, startling her, the movement too fast for her to discern your face in time.

A surprised yelp escapes Elsa's lips as she fires an ice blast, nearly hitting you.

You lose balance as a result and are dangling from the railings by one arm, seconds from falling to your death.

Elsa sees it's you and gasps. Never has she felt such a mixture of horror and elation.

Reacting quickly, she freezes the air beneath you, enabling you to stand.

"What were you thinking?" she exclaims, hand over her pounding heart. "I could've killed you!"

Staring up at her, you're powerless to wipe the lovesick grin off your face. Simply being in her presence is making you giddy. She could say anything to you and you wouldn't mind.

Elsa rolls her eyes in exasperation.

You reach for the railings, pulling yourself up again. "Please, don't shoot!" you joke, pretending to put up your hands in surrender.

Arms folded, she's frowning at you.

You smile in response. Even when she's annoyed she's absolutely, heart-achingly beautiful.

Elsa knows that look you're giving her. She realises what you're about to do and raises a finger in protest. "Don't just think you can-"

But she's too late. Your lips are already on hers.