Chapter 31

"Graduation and an Invitation"

Ryder’s POV:

            It was the day of Graduation. I was in my room putting my suit on. I hated today. It was supposed to be a great day but I knew that day after tomorrow the girl I loved would be leaving to go halfway around the world. I felt that same tug on my heart and just sat on my bed.

            “Are you ok,” my mom asked as she walked in.

            “No,” I said quietly as I put my head in my hands.

            “You should be happy today,” she said. “You’re graduating.”

            “I should be but how can I be knowing I only have one more day left with the girl I love,” I said as I jumped up and started pacing.

            “Sweetheart I think you should let the chips fall as they may,” she said cryptically.

            “What do you mean,” I asked.

            “You’ll see soon,” she said. “Just make sure you enjoy the time you have left with her.”

            “I’m going to. I’m really scared mom,” I said as I hugged her.

            “Why baby,” she asked sounding surprised.

            “What if she finds someone else,” I said in a muffled voice.

            “That girl loves you,” she said as she pulled back and looked up at me.

            “I know but this is a large distance to be away,” I said shaking my head.

            “Just relax. Everything will work out all right,” she said as she walked back out. I grabbed my shoes and put them on before walking out my door and down the stairs.

            “There he is,” Dad boomed out when I hit the bottom step. He caught me in a tight bear hug.

            “Congratulations,” Tyler said with a big smile as he hugged me.

            “Thanks,” I said with a small smile.

            “Come here,” he said as he pulled me away.

            “What,” I asked when we were far enough from everyone.

            “You need to get happy,” he said as he crossed his arms.

            “I can’t seem to,” I said as I rubbed a hand over my face.

            “She’ll only be gone for a couple of months,” he exclaimed.

            “A lot can happen in a couple of months,” I told him.

            “I get that but there’s nothing you can do to change it.”