Chapter 4

"Pool Day"

            I woke up on Saturday morning with a smile on my face. I loved the weekend. Both of my parents had to work so it was just me and Skylar here today. I got out of the bed and ran a brush through my hair before putting it up in a bun at the top of my head. I was wearing shorts and a tank top so I figured that was good enough and walked out of my room. I went down the stairs and into the kitchen.

            When I walked in I saw my sister sitting on the counter eating a pop tart. She was wearing baggy shorts and a t-shirt that was too big for her. She had on a dirty old hat with her pony tail pulled out the back of it. Her converse were muddy and untied.

            “You’re such a tomboy,” I told her as I got a bottle of water out of the fridge.

            “I know but you love it,” she said with a big smile.

            “That I do. So what are your plans for today?”

            “I’m just gonna hang around here. Watch some TV and maybe go for a swim later.”

            “Sounds like a plan,” I said nodding as we headed into the living room. We had just sat down on the couch when I heard my door bell ring. With a sigh I heaved myself off of the couch and slowly made my way to the door. On my way there the doorbell rang three more times.

            “Hold your damn horses,” I said as I snatched the door open. On the other side of the door was Ryder. “What are you doing here?”

            “We need to do something you like to do,” he said with a smile. As I looked at him I couldn’t help but to notice how good he looked. He was wearing a black flat billed hat and a tight black t-shirt. His jeans were fitted and the had a few rips in the knees. His hair was showing from under his hat and he was smiling at me like he didn’t have a care in the world.

            “Sure,” I said as I let him in.

            “What are we gonna do,” he said as he dropped his skateboard on the floor.

            “Well it’s Saturday and I usually just hang around the house on Saturday,” I said with a shrug.

            “Why,” he asked confused.

            “I do so much during the week that I take today to relax.”

            “Oh,” he said with understanding on his face. “What do you usually do?”

            “Watch TV, swim, read. Just usual stuff.”

            “Sounds fun,” he said with a big smile.

            “Well me and my sister are watching TV if you want to join us.”

            “Sure,” he said with a smile. “I didn’t know you had a sister.”

            “Yeah. She’s twelve,” I told him as we walked.

            “Is she just like you?”