1; Flashbacks, hesitation and traditions

Violet

"You ready?"

I look to my left, shielding my eyes from the bright sun. He stands there, right by my side, black jeans, plain white shirt, leather shoes, sunglasses perched on his nose and a cigarette dangling from his mouth. And he looks at me, just like he always does, with all his focus entirely on me.

"Ready," I reply, but my voice can't help but to crack a little as I don't really believe myself.

His lips curl and he stubs out his cigarette, blowing out the final bit of smoke from his mouth, before picking up the suitcase beside me. "Alright then, let's go!"

I watch him walk down the driveway, pulling his suitcase along, and suddenly it all hits me, and my feet feel plastered into the concrete. It's that same nervous feeling I always get, the feeling that always stops me. It seems so unavoidable, and I can't control it. It feels like doubt, like uncertainty and I hate it. My heart drops right into my stomach and I feel as though there's no air around me. "Wait," I cry out. "Zayn, wait."

He turns around, his eyebrows narrowing. "What?"

I sigh. "Can we go tomorrow?"

His shoulders sink ever so slightly, and just like always he's starts to walk back over to me. We've done this so many times we've adopted a full on routine.

"Why?"

"I-I I'm not ready," I blurt out, shaking my hands about. "I thought I am, but I'm not. Because it's scary, and it's a big change. I mean, college! It's college, Zayn! Doesn't that freak you out? Doesn't it scare the living shit out of you that as soon as we get in that car, we're going to college?!" My eyes dart crazily across his face, my words coming out in a huge rush.

He hesitates, and it's not until he covers my hands with his own that I realise I'm shaking. "Of course it scares the living shit out of me," he answers. "But that's why I have you."

I give a half smile as he cocks his head to the side and just looks at me. And it's all the reassurance I need.

"Plus, we can't go tomorrow. You said that yesterday. And the day before. And the day before. We have to do this eventually, Vi. It's only scary because you think it is. You always freak yourself out. Don't you know that the fear you have is just in your head?" Zayn looks at me seriously.

I nibble on my lip. I know he's right, of course he is. He always is. And this is why we're together. I just nod.

"So we're gonna do this, okay?" He continues, hands still wrapped around mine. "And it's going to be exciting, and new, and okay. It's going to be fine."

I laugh under my breath. "How are you so good at this?"

He smiles, bringing up my hands to his lips and pecking my fingers gently. "I've had practice. Now come on, we don't want to be late." He bends down to pick up his suitcase before heading back down the driveway towards the car, fist pumping the entire way and yelling "woohoo! College!"