50; Wine, apologies, and coats

Zayn

This was killing me.

Across the table from me was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, and she had not said a word to me since we had sat down. We had ordered a drink each, a bourbon for me and a wine for her. She was trying to distract herself with things around the restaurant, staring at her wine glass, fiddling with the menu. I was just watching her every move.

Every time I went to say something, I just froze up. I felt absolutely ridiculous, like I was on a first date or something. I suddenly didn't know how to talk to the person I had shared my life with for about two years. How crazy was that?

I think what killed me the most was the fact that she had nothing to say. I wanted her to be mad, to yell and scream at me. I wanted her to feel something. But she was numb. She was so set in this aloof persona that I barely even recognised her.

"You look nice tonight." I clear my throat.

Violet just looks at me and then picks up her glass and chugs her wine back.

I sigh, looking down at the wooden table surface. I started moving my fingers around, like I was drawing some masterpiece. We had been sitting here for about fifteen minutes, in total silence. Each new minute was like a bullet to my brain.

"So, how've you been?" I ask awkwardly.

She just looks at me, her stare cold and dark. She just raises her eyebrow.

"I-I mean ..." I start to fiddle with my fingers. Man, was I nervous. "With everything that's happened, and all."

"You mean you sleeping with me and running out on me by leaving the country we were in early?" Her voice cuts like a knife. "You know what? I'm great. Never been better, Zayn. Thanks for asking."

"You can cut the sarcasm," I mumble.

"Oh? I'm sorry. Does that offend you?"

I glance up at her. Man, she's an absolute killer. "I wish you'd stop acting like I intended to hurt you."

She looks shocked, like she can't believe what I've just said. "Excuse me?"

I manage to find my voice somehow, leaning forwards a bit. "I did this for you," I tell her. "I was doing what was best for you."

"What was best for me?" She cries. "Since when did you get to decide what was best for me, huh?"

"I was protecting you."

She snorts. "Protecting me? Protecting me from what, Zayn? A broken heart? You might wanna reevaluate that one."

"You don't know what's right for you-"

"No, you don't get to tell me what's right for me and what isn't," she cries, eyes like stone. "I can make my own damn choices, Zayn Malik. If there's one thing you know about me, so help me god, it's that you know I can make my own choices. You damn well fucking know that!"

I swallow. "I-I know-"

"I do not need you making my decisions for me," she continues, voice raising. "If you think this is your apology, your reasoning, well that's a damn shitty excuse. You weren't protecting me at all. That's a freaking cop out, Zayn, and you know it."

"Oh yeah? Is that what you think? I'm treating this like some detention I'm trying to get out of?" I challenge. "Everything I ever did, I damn well did for you. If there's one thing you know about me, Violet, it's that I did whatever I possibly could just to make you fucking happy. So don't give me that bullshit!"