58; Bonuses, therapy, and dolls

Zayn

I hated Christmas.

It wasn't anything against the holiday, in fact I liked the holiday just fine. The presents were nice, and spending time with family was tolerable. And the snow, that was cool, but the Christmas holidays meant that work was closed. And I had nothing to do.

I worked in Rico's auto shop every minute of every day, it was all I did. At first it was merely just a distraction; I would work and work just so that I wouldn't have to be left alone with my thoughts. Then the months went on and work stopped being a distraction and just a job. A lifestyle.

"You're working hard on that one." I hear Rico's voice in the distance. "Not even the owners love it that much."

I slide out from underneath the car and sit up, wiping my grease stained hands on my shirt. I look at the car that had been my project for about two months, a stunning 1968 Dodge Charger. A couple had dropped it in for it to be demolished, saying there was no use in fixing it, but I couldn't give up so easily. The thing was absolutely beautiful, it couldn't be demolished. I promised them I'd fix it.

"It's a work of art, Ric," I say, walking past him and chucking my tools down on the work bench, starting to wipe them down. "I appreciate art when I see it."

"That you do, mate." He chuckles. "Hey, listen. Your pay won't be going in for another week."

I turn to him. "What? Why not?"

"The shop's having some trouble. The debt collectors came early this morning. I just can't afford to pay you this week. You understand, right?"

"Rico, it's Christmas." I'm not even surprised. This is exactly the kind of person Rico is. A total fucking flake. "You know I've been waiting for my pay for Christmas. I have shit to buy!"

His big hand clamps down onto my shoulder and he rubs me like he's some chum of mine. Certainly not now. "Hey, mate. Of course I know that. I'll throw you a few notes, don't you worry. Just no bonus, yeah?"

"Did Anna get a bonus?" I stare at him.

"Anna? What? No, of course not." His eyes shift sideways.

I throw his hand off me. "Fuck sakes, Rico!" I cry. "This is bullshit! You and I both know that I'm the only one keeping this fucking store going. I slave my ass off every day and you just go throwing money at the first piece of ass that comes in here!"

"Anna's good value-"

"She's been here two weeks!"

"I don't need you acting like you're so high and mighty in this shop, mate," he seethes, his eyes darkening like they do. "I'm the boss, and you're the worker. That's how it is around here. You don't like it you can damn well leave."

"I'm taking my fucking break," I mumble, throwing my rag to the floor and pushing past him to get out back.

I step into the fresh air, leaning against the back of the shop and sighing. I dig into my pockets and fish out my packet of cigarettes, sticking one hurriedly into my mouth and inhaling the smoke. This whole 'no bonus' thing wouldn't have been such a big deal if I earned decent pay normally, but I didn't. I earned nowhere enough for how much I actually worked. I was really counting on this bonus so that I could afford to get really nice Christmas presents. There was this doll Safaa really wanted, this pretty little blonde thing, but it was pricey. I didn't want money to be a thing, I didn't want to have to stand there in the shop and explain to her that the doll was too expensive and therefore she couldn't have it. I felt like I was right back to where I started, back in Bradford with nothing to live for.