55; Notes, unexpected visits, and bad news

Violet

I was meeting Liam in fifteen minutes and I had nothing to wear.

He said he had a date planned, and to 'dress nicely'. I'm sure he didn't mean it to be interpreted the way I did, but for the last half an hour all I had done is completely destroy my room with trying to find a 'nice' outfit that would suit Liam's tastes.

Liam had standards, high ones, and I needed to always meet them. I didn't want him to ever see me as this piece of trailer park trash. I was very, very worried. Dress nicely? Nicely? I didn't own anything nice!

"God, why did I have to throw out all my mum's clothes?" I groan, sifting through my drawers for the hundredth time. All I had were shirts and stupid little blouse things and jackets and jeans. I had thrown all my mum's designer clothes out at the start of the year because of Zayn. 'New year, new me' kind of thing. Great. Now I was going to look like a slob on Liam's 'dress nicely' date.

I'm pulling out shirts, throwing them on the floor, when my eyes land on one in particular. I lift the black shirt out of my drawer and unfold it, my fingers gripping the soft and familiar fabric. It was his favourite shirt. I'm not sure why, because there was nothing special about it. It was a simple black button up with a breast pocket, but he claimed it to be his favourite. I think he told me once that it was the shirt he was wearing on the night of the leaver's dinner. He said it made him feel lucky whenever he wore it.

Why did I have it? Why was it tucked away in the back of my drawer? It made me sort of sad to hold it, and I wasn't really sure what to do with it. Did I give it back? God, there was bound to be a hundred things in this room that belonged to him. But it was his favourite shirt. I had to give it back to him.

I'm folding it back when I feel something in the pocket and curiously dig my fingers in to retrieve a folded up piece of paper. I furrow my eyebrows and open it up, finding Zayn's messy scrawl scribbled all over the page.

Eng project - 'Something from the heart.'

This is one of Zayn's English pieces? The rest of his words flow in simple sentences, like some sort of poem. I keep reading, intrigued.

I got a heart and I got a soul

Believe me I will use them both

We made a start

Be it a false one, I know

Baby, I don't want to feel alone

So kiss me where I lay down, my hands press to your cheeks

A long way from the playground

I have loved you since we were 18

Long before we both thought the same thing

To be loved, to be in love

All I can do is say that these arms were made for holding you

I wanna love like you made me feel

When we were 18