30; Peanut butter, Caller ID, and Sadness

Violet

I was currently sitting in the newspaper room in front of a blank computer, surrounded by the entire newspaper team in the middle of a heated debate over whether you put peanut butter in the fridge of the pantry. And I was not happy.

If you asked me if I was happy at this exact moment I would say no. Because I was tired and I was bored and I had complete writer's block and all the yells were too loud. If you asked me if I was happy in general I would also say no. I was not happy at all.

"Hey, you okay?"

I'm snapped out of my thought train by Josh's voice. He leans into me, resting his elbows on my desk and chewing on the end of a pencil. He was one of the debaters on the pantry side and had taken a break from his arguing in realising my complete disinterest.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. I'm fine." I wasn't really.

"What side are you on?" He grins.

"I really don't give two shits," I snap back. The storage of peanut butter was the least of my worries right now.

Josh moves back a little, like my edginess threw him off somehow. "Okay, something's up. Because I know you keep your peanut butter in the pantry."

I sigh, spinning around in my chair to face him. "I still haven't told Zayn about Liam."

Josh's eyebrows raise. "What? You haven't?"

"I know." I chew on my lip. "I just don't know how."

"Violet, you have to tell him. Your ex boyfriend has come back into town, he has to know."

"Liam is my friend," I argue. "He was my friend before my ex."

"Then why haven't you told him? If it's just that simple."

He's right. Just like always, Josh is completely right. If things were so simple and okay, and all I saw Liam as was my friend, then why couldn't I tell Zayn? Obviously something was in the way. Whether it was Zayn, or Liam, or me, I wasn't sure. All I know is that I have to tell Zayn. We're not supposed to keep secrets, that's not what couples do. If I can't tell Zayn this then we have a serious problem. How are we expected to sustain a stable relationship?

"I'll tell him," I promise. "It just has to be the right time."

I can feel Josh's judgement, but he just nods. "Okay, good. As long as you know what you're doing." He pauses and then gives me a fixed stare. "You do know what you're doing, right?"

I take a deep breath, shuffling my eyes back to the computer. The screen is a blaring white, a complete juxtaposition from my colourful mind. I wish all these thoughts would just go away. All these worries and doubts and negative feelings. I hadn't felt warmth in weeks. I was starting to lose a grip on what was real and I was, in blind sight, starting to lose my mind.

I plaster a reassuring smile to my face, one that speaks the complete opposite of how I feel. Just like the following words that tumble out of my mouth. "Of course. I always do."

------

"Macy is such a bitch. She swans around the place like she owns it and everyone in it. The other girls think she's too fat to be in modelling, which I can kind of see. You know, it's a weird world to be in. The girls you think are skinny are actually the fat ones."

I listen to Liam's story he rambles off down the line as I move around my room cleaning up Cara's stuff. And I laugh, because what he says is funny. It's always so fascinating to hear his stories because they're always so exciting. He lives such an exciting life that sounds like such a dream. He's my form of escape.