Chapter 22

Bella's POV

I decided to show Dani my cuts to show her I understand and that she's not alone. She stares at them in shock.

"I know how good it feels when you do it and then how crappy you'll feel later. I know how hard you will try to hide them and how much you'll have to try to not do it again," I tell my younger sister, "But next time you feel like cutting, I don't care how busy I am or what time of day or night it is, I want you to come to me first. Deal?"

"O-okay," she says, "Deal."

"And don't tell anyone about my fresh cuts. Only Laur knows and that's cause she walked in accidentally," I whisper. Dani nods.

"Can you not tell anyone about mine?" she asks.

"Okay."

"I hate Christina!" Dani says suddenly.

"I hate what she said especially since it's untrue," I say.

I help her clean her wrists and bandage them then we head downstairs. She has long sleeves on of course. We sit next to each other on the couch and our sisters stare at us.

Christina moves to sit next to Dani and I stand up.

"Don't," I say firmly.

"I need to apologize to Dani," she says.

"You can do it from over there," I snap and she steps back in shock.

"I'm so sorry Dani, I never meant to say that and it's not true," she quietly says, starting to sob. Normally I'd go and comfort her but not today.

"Okay," Dani whispers and squeezes my hand. I squeeze back.

"I'm gonna go watch Pitch Perfect," Lauren says breaking the silence. She heads to the big TV and Lisa, Amy, Dani, and I follow. Kath takes Christina upstairs.

We sing along to the songs and I smile when I see Dani smiling.

After the movie we head upstairs to bed. I see Christina and Kath quietly talking on Chrissy's bed. They look up and stop talking when Amy and I walk in.

"I truly am sorry for what I said earlier," Christina tells us.

"I know," Amy says. Christina looks at me waiting for me to say something.

"Don't even bother talking to me," I tell her in a snippy voice. I see the hurt form in her eyes. I don't feel that bad though, if only she knew how much she hurt Dani.

"And don't talk to Dani either. We don't need you," I say and glare at her. Christina buries her head in Katherine's shoulder and I hear her cry.

I don't feel like listening to her cry all night so I grab my pillow and phone.

"See ya," I say and walk to the other room, knocking on it. Lisa answers and I quietly walk in. Lauren fell right asleep already.

"Can you sleep in my bed tonight?" Dani asks.

"Of course," I tell her and climb under her covers. I see Lisa give me a smile and I smile back. Dani curls up next to me and I hold her tight until we both fall asleep.

Dani's POV

Bella has been so nice to me and I feel safe when I'm around her. It's been a few days since I cut and Bella and Christina still aren't talking. I keep telling Bella to make up with her but she says she will when she's ready.

Bella and I have decided to go to the beach after school today. She's trying to get adjusted to homeschooling but I can tell she dislikes it some.

I quickly finish up my math and Bella pushes her English textbook to the side while standing up.

"Can we go now Mom?" I ask.

"Did you finish all your work?" she asks us.

"Yeah," we nod and she lets us. We grab our bags and run out the door.

At the beach we lay down our towels and Bella lays on hers.

"C'mon lazybuns let's go to the water!" I say.

"Later," she groans, "I just want to stay here for awhile."

"Fine," I sigh and lay down on my back.

I close my eyes and listen to the waves. I reflect on how waves are kinda like feelings. They rise and then eventually they crash and disappear.

"Dan, I'm just gonna go to the washroom, I'll be right back," Bella tells me.

"Okay," I say and watch as she walks far down the beach to the nearest bathroom.

I hear laughing near me and I spin around and almost faint from who I see.

"Bet you thought we'd never be back. Guess again bitch, this time we're gonna hurt you more than you evee thought possible," Jen smirks. I see that she's with the other 2 girls as usual but this time there's also an exceptionally large guy behind them.

I start to panic as Jen's friends grab me and Jen starts slapping my face.

"Hey get away from her!" I hear Bella scream and I see her push them away from me.

"Run," I hear her whisper to me and I do what she asks. I take off towards the house in a full on sprint, assuming she's behind me.

I reach the house and turn back but Bella isn't there. Jen and her friends must have her. I run into the house and burst into tears.

"Christina give me your phone," I yell.

"Why? What's wrong Dani??" she asks as she sees the state I'm in.

"I need to call 911!" I say and she quickly hands over her phone. I call and tell the police where to find my older sister and they tell us not to go there.

I inform my sisters about what has been going on and they're heartbroken. But more than anything, we're worried about Bella.

Bella's POV

The moment I see those people slapping my baby sister I run over and push them away.

"Run," I tell Dani and she takes off. I move to run too when the guy grabs my wrist and twists it. I whimper and he emits a big booming laugh.

"Let's see how much we can hurt you then," he whispers in my ear and I shiver. I really hope Dani calls the police when she notices I'm not with her.

I'm so scared. As I feel duct tape going over my mouth I have a horrible feeling I know what's about to happen and I pray to God I'll black out and won't remember it.