Chapter 24: We Fought; We Battled; And We Lost

RECAP:

My hand extended out to the light, I could almost feel it between my fingers . . .

So close-

"Laurel" that one word, that one little gesture of my name was enough to cause me to recoil my hand, snap my head to the culprit and. . .

***

As I turned my head to whomever interrupted me I froze. My mind went blank and my stance became frigid. I immediately felt cold as I gazed upon a man I once knew well, a man I once loved. . .

"Zeus."

It was barely a whisper that pasted my suddenly chapped lips. I could not believed my eyes, surely they were betraying me. Some part of me wanted to actually believe I was dreaming, than again what other reason would I have for coming here?

He kept piercing me with his gaze, his eyes taking in every detail. Suddenly I felt like a bug under a microscope, he was studying me and I did not like it, not at all.

"Loral." His voice was smooth like marble, just like I remembered. It was deep and gaudy, however it was strained and raspy.

He suddenly stepped forward, I wanted to step back but I couldn't. I was glued to the floor.

He reached forward and stroked my cheek with the back of his pointer finger. His eyes began to glow a beautiful golden color and he leaned forward and pressed his lips to mine.

His lips were warm and soft, just like-

Instantly as his lips came upon mine I felt a tug on my neck and than a death grip squeeze. I blinked rapidly and pulled away from the kiss. Zeus looked hurt and confused as I fully stepped back and began to pull at the teardrop necklace around my throat. It began to pull harder the closer Zeus stepped to me.

I yelped in pain as Zeus suddenly touched my arm in concern, causing the necklace to constrict like a boa. He withdrew his hand as if I burned him.

I began to choked as it tightened even harder until I ran as far away from Zeus as I possibly could while still being in the same room.

I cowered in a corner as the necklace slowly released its grip on my neck. I instantly slunk to the floor and began gasping and choking for air.

I could feel the presence of a powerful aura approach me soon after I caught my breath.

I suddenly stood up and held out my hands to signal him to come no further. "Zeus I am sorry." I said solemnly.

I peered up through my raven veil to see him frowning at me with so much pain in his eyes.

"What has he done to you?"

His voice cracked slightly as he looked as my disheveled appearance.

I sighed in pain and straightened up best I could. "Hadese thought it best to- uh keep me from-fr-" I couldn't even finish my sentence as I crumbled to the floor again and began to sob uncontrollably.

Zeus immediately tried coming to Loral's aid as he saw the one he once loved unravel before him.

He was suddenly stopped as a large hand clamped down upon his shoulder.

"No father, you will only cause her more pain."

Unfortunately his son was right, if he even so much as touched her the 'collar' would tighten.

All he could do was watch her cry uncontrollably in front of him.

This was pathetic she thought. How could I just wail like an emotionally disturbed women infront of this god?!

'Oh wait. . . . because I am an emotionally disturbed women!' She thought to herself as she tried to reign in her tears.

She coughed a few times before she sniffled and wiped her red nose with her sleeve.

She looked up at the two men with shame in her eyes. I cannot believe I just did that.

"I-I am s-so sorry, I don't know what came over me." She said, remorse lacing her words.

Zeus felt his heart restrict in utter pain as he knew he could do nothing to ease his loves pain.

"Do not apologize for your pain my love, I cannot touch you as I crave, but you are here and that is enough. We will find a way. . ." Is all he said before he motioned for the man next to him to leave. He bowed and quickly left not before giving me a small smile as he left.

Zeus motioned for me to follow him as he turned and walked out two golden doors.

I followed without thought and trailed behind him with my head down. After so many years of obeying rules I guess it's just programmed in me to listen without complaint.

"Look up" His voice suddenly rang in my years. I looked up only to see the back of his head. How did he know I - it doesn't matter anyway.

I kept my head up as I followed him through widing golden halls, white marble pillars and beautiful plush green gardens.

"Where are we going?" I asked in a timid whisper.

He didn't turn around when he answered. "Your room".

Soon we stopped at two cherry wood doors, he pushed them both open with one hand and ushered me to step in.

The room was beautiful, the layout was nothing like  I had ever seen before. The room was octaganle, with ocean blue walls with differing colors of blue melting into eachother, making it look like it was actually moving like water.

A large round bed sat in the middle of the room with white satin sheets and fluffy white pillows surroudning it. The floor was water, literallythe floor was made up of water. However, when I stepped onto it I was walking across it, not even getting my shoes wet.

White drapes hung from the cieling in all different places cascading across the room.

Together this room was absolutally the most gorgeous oceanic beauty I had ever seen.

"This is for me?" I asked in disbelieve.

Zeus nodded with a bright smile on his face.

"This is for you to be comfortable while you are here. In your condition I wouldn't have it any other way." He said with a small frown on his face.

It didn't quite register with me what he had said until I started rubbing my belly.

I gasped in shock. "Y-you know?!"

He smiled sadly down at me. "I could hear the heart beat even as you were at the gate."

"Zeus I-" He stopped me mid sentence.

"I know what's happened Loral, I see everything. I never stopped watching you even when you forgot about me all together. And I know this baby is not mine but I will love it as I will you." His voice held strong determination and anger.

"Zeus this necklace I-" He stopped me again.

"We will find a way for that 'thing' to come off."

"I only have one year . . . he will come looking for me when my time is up" I said as a tear slid down my face. Zeus sighed and caught the crystal tear before it slipped off my face and raised my chin. MY necklace slightly tightened at the contact but it was barable.

"I will NEVER stop fighting for your love Loral" He gribbed my face and kissed me lightly and pulled back just as the necklace tightened.

I pulled on it slightly as he leaned away. "I am sorry Zeus, but I no longer have any fight left in me. . ."

"I stopped fighting a long time ago."