seventy

"Is that. . . a dog?" Aiden asks as he walks into my house. It was Friday and he had picked me up from school to take me back home since he had my outfit for the fundraiser tonight.

"Yeah," I smile as Ben races around my legs in circles. I pick him up and fuss him, knowing he's been inside all day. "I'll be right back."

I say, walking to the patio doors and opening them up so that Ben can have some time outside. I took him for a walk this morning around the estate and he's so full of energy.

When I go back to Aiden, he hands me the dress that he had bought me for tonight. I take it with a small smile, feeling bad that he's bought me a dress when I have plenty already.

"Is Brad coming tonight?" Aiden mumbles out.

"Yeah," I say firmly. "He's going to meet us there."

"Surprised he didn't try and take you there," Aiden rolls his eyes and I roll my eyes. Brad did offer to take me to the fundraiser but I told him that Aiden probably will. I just won't tell Aiden that.

"Whatever," I sigh out. "I'm going to go get ready. Keep an eye on Ben for me?"

"Ben?"

"The dog."

"Right, the dog."

I hold back a small laugh as he walks down the corridor and out to the garden before I walk upstairs and get changed into the dress.

It was a black and white vintage plaid dress that ended mid thigh. It wasn't too tight for me and it fit comfortably, no surprise that Aiden had found the right fit for me.

I sigh, putting on some black chunky heel boots that match the dress and brush my hair through.

"Are you ready yet?" Aiden shouts up from the top of the stairs and I unplug my phone, holding on to it as I open up my bedroom door.

"Yeah," I reply. "You're meant to be looking after my dog, not asking me if I'm ready."

"He came running inside, so I followed him," Aiden assures me as I walk down the stairs. "Are you just leaving him here while we're out."

"Yes," I say. "My dad's coming back tonight so he'll only be alone for an hour or so."

He nods slowly and I walk into the kitchen, Ben running in behind me and I pour water into his bowl and some more food into his food bowl.

I fuss him, cooing at him before I stand up and notice Aiden impatiently looking at the time on his watch. He's a perfectionist, he hates when he is late.

"We can go now," I say to him, noticing how restless he's getting because he doesn't want to be late.

I grab my keys and a jacket before locking up my house and walking down to Aiden's car. I message Brad and let him know I'm on my way—he told me to since he didn't want to be there alone before I arrived.

"I've got a wedding dress fitting booked for you for tomorrow," Aiden tells me. "I hope that's okay."

"Yeah, I've got nothing better to do," I shrug. "Have you got a suit yet?"

"I'm gonna get some fitted tomorrow, too," he says. "Is someone joining you for the fitting?"

"I'll ask Brad," I say even though he's probably going to be busy at the tracks. I can only hope he'll take the chance to hang out with me, otherwise I've got no one else to go with.

"Do you have to ask him?" Aiden sighs and I raise my eyebrows at him. "I just don't trust that he'll stop our engagement from being exposed as a business deal, and not two people in love."