fifty

School was terrible. As well as taking three exams, Brad also didn't come to school since he was helping Aiden set up for the dinner party—he apologised profusely about it—which meant I was alone.

I took the bus home and got home later than usual since Brad usually takes me to and from school everyday. My dad wasn't home yet which meant I had time to get ready for the dreaded dinner party.

Walking upstairs, I dump my bag and shoes off in my room. I turn on the light, only to notice a box on my bed. I frown, stepping forward to it and opening it up.

Wrapped in tissue paper was a tight, black dress and some heeled shoes. They looked expensive, beautiful. The note on top of the tissue paper doesn't go unnoticed and I pick it up, reading over the familiar, scruffy writing.

I got you this dress for tonight. I hope you choose what's best for everyone. I'll see you later. Aiden.

I sigh, putting the note on the bed as I pull out the dress. It was my size, probably only reaching to my thighs. The heels were four inches and I'd probably still be below Brad's height.

Soon I'm getting dressed and ready for the long night ahead. I don't want to go, I want to sit at home and I want to cuddle up with Brad all night.

Once I'm ready, I look over myself in my mirror as I sit down at my vanity. I glance at my jewellery box and open it, revealing the diamond ring that Aiden had given me almost a week ago.

I pick it up and hold it between my fingers, looking over it. How could something so beautiful be the object that says whether or not I'm happy?

I hold it to my chest for a moment, breathing deeply, before I put it in my clutch bag.

When Brad arrives at half past seven to pick me up, I wrap my arms strongly around him and he does the same, twice as tight though.

"Hey," he whispers as I rest my head on his shoulder, sighing deeply. I could feel my hands shaking. He presses a comforting kiss to my head, cradling me. "Are you okay today? Feeling better?"

"Yeah," I whisper out, lifting my head and one of his hands move from my waist to my face, pulling me up to kiss his lips.

I don't mind, I savour the feeling of his soft lips on mine. I don't know when I'm going to feel them again, or if I ever will get to reminisce in the feeling after this.

"I missed you so much," he says as he pulls away from the kiss. "I'm so sorry that I didn't see you until now, I know you needed to see me."

"It's fine, you're here now," I give him a faux smile, kissing his lips again. "But we should go now. We don't want to be late."

"Okay," he agrees, softly taking my hand in his. I lock up my house and make my way down to his car, smiling discreetly at the feel of his hand. It's so soft and warm which contrasts his cold rings.

The ride was quiet, mostly because I felt so sick I couldn't speak. I just looked over at Brad every chance I got and he knew I was staring but didn't say anything to me.

As we arrive at Aiden's mansion and Brad's car is pulled away, I'm surprised to see the man himself standing at the doorway, greeting people with a smile and a handshake. His eyes light up when he sees me wearing the dress and shoes he'd gotten for me.

"Nice to see you could come," Aiden says, shaking my hand. I force a smile on to my face. "It's a big night tonight, Jamie, I thought you should know. Happy to have you here."

"I'm only here for Brad," I say, letting go of his hand and taking Brad's. Aiden eyes it down, probably assuming my final decision.

Brad squeezes my hand, a small smile on his face. "Come on, Jamie, let me get you a drink."