thirty two

Waking up to an empty house on Christmas sometimes felt like a tradition

Waking up to an empty house on Christmas sometimes felt like a tradition. Since my mum left a few years ago and my dad occupied himself with work, I'm always alone at Christmas.

I put on my Christmas playlist as I walk downstairs and glance out of the window. White Christmas was playing and I laugh at the irony since there's no snow in sight out of the window.

I had one hour before Brad would be over to pick me up and we decided to open each other's presents here. That means I've got an hour to open my presents from other people, get breakfast and then change into some comfortable clothes for the day.

My dad had bought me clothes and put loads of money into my Christmas card as well as some shopping vouchers. My mum had sent some money to me in the bank, as well as a small text saying Merry Christmas—more than she did for my birthday.

I felt low and deflated as I open my presents since Christmas was always fun and exciting when I was growing up with my family. We were all happy when we were together but now everything felt so dysfunctional.

Once everything was opened, I put away the rubbish and left out my dad's presents. I make myself some bacon sandwiches before disappearing upstairs to change into some clothes for the day. I receive a call from Brad halfway through.

"I'm on my way," he informs me as I pick up. "I just want to make sure you're ready."

"I'm ready and waiting," I tell him. "You better not be on your phone and driving because that's illegal."

"I'm not," he says, "I linked my phone up to my Bluetooth. Anyway, are you ready for your presents?"

"I don't know," I say honestly. "Are you ready for yours?"

He pauses for a moment. "Yes, though I'm still annoyed that you got me any."

"And I'm annoyed that you got me one," I say. We're both as bad as each other—we love giving each other presents but hate when we receive presents off of each other.

"Whatever," he says. "I'll be there in fifteen, okay?"

"I'll make you something to eat if you want?"

"You sure know how to make a man happy, Jamie."

He ends the call and after a few minutes of getting my stuff in a bag ready for the day ahead, I go downstairs and make him a bacon sandwich for when he arrives.

I'm finished just in time as he welcomes himself through my front door. I don't mind since I told him that this is his second home as far as I'm aware, and he can make himself at home always.

"Bacon sandwich?" He says in delight, putting the bag full of presents down on the side. There wasn't many, maybe three or four. "You're truly a legend."