fifty six

My dad and I look up at Aiden's house. While I'm not surprised by its large exterior, my dad gawks at it in envy.

"Wow," my dad whispers out and I tear my gaze off of the mansion and at him. He was truly amazed—it was any true architect's dream. "He's got loads of money, clearly."

I nod as we walk up the front of it, my dad amazed by the details gone into the designing of everything. He knocks on the door and I'm surprised when Aiden opens it up instead of one of his maids or something.

He's wearing a white polo shirt and some trousers, a smile on his face as he sees us both. Usually he's wearing a button up and a trousers as though he works in an office. It's nice to see him dressed casual, like how he used to.

"Aiden! Lovely to see you after so long," my dad grins, holding his hand out for Aiden. My fiancé takes it and shakes it firmly before pulling him in for a hug.

He drops my dad's hand and looks over to me. He had spoken earlier on the phone to me about how I had to convince people we were actually engaged, otherwise someone could object against our marriage.

"This is so stupid," I had said down the phone. "Why would anyone object against our marriage? Isn't it just your gang coming? And a bit of my family?"

"I'm obliged to invite some of the other gangs," Aiden replied. "The ones I have a truce with. It's polite more than anything, and if they see that we're not in love then they'll object against the wedding and it'll complicate everything."

I figured that he meant that what we're doing went down the drain if I screwed this up. I would've lost Brad for nothing. That's why I agreed to convince my dad that we're 'in love'.

"Hey," I force a smile onto my face as Aiden wraps his arms around me. He presses a light kiss to my temple and I try not to remember the almost-kiss at my house that was three days ago.

"You guys can come on in," Aiden says, holding his hand out for me to take. I lace our fingers together and my hand sits in his. It didn't feel the same as Brad's hands.

"What you got cooking?" My dad asks as he takes off his jacket. Aiden had already hung my coat up by the time my dad's finished since he was admiring the interior.

"Lasagna," Aiden replies, taking my dad's jacket and hanging it besides mine. "It's a request from Jamie—turns out that it's the only way I can get her over here these days."

He was acting like we've not been out of contact for almost four years and I envy that, I wish I could pretend we'd never lost contact.

"You should've told me sooner," my dad chuckles. "Maybe she'd stop seeing Brad and spend time with her old man, instead."

My face drops slightly at the mention of Brad's name. I didn't want to think of him tonight, and I certainly didn't want him to be revolve around our conversations.

Aiden notices and squeezes my hand, "do you guys want a drink?"

"Sure," I say, forcing a smile onto my face and we walk into the kitchen. It smelt strongly of the cheesy goodness that was cooking in Aiden's oven and I inhale deeply.

"You alright?" Aiden chuckles as I make myself comfortable at his kitchen island.

"Yeah. Just enjoying the smell of heaven."

Aiden chuckles at my exaggeration before making us all a cup of tea. My dad talks about his work and Aiden converses with him about it until the oven begins beeping.

"Let me serve out dinner," Aiden says, grabbing the oven mittens and putting them on his hands.

Once we've sat down at a table, my dad and I facing each other while Aiden sits on the end, we begin to eat or dinner.