fifty seven

I force a smile onto my face, shaking hands with a random man Aiden introduced to me to. I ignore the pain in the back of my head and the fact that I felt like something was pressing down on my lungs.

Aiden's hand intertwines with mine, and I look over to him. He was wearing some black trousers and a white button up with the first couple of buttons unhooked.

"When's the wedding, did you say?" The man says. I think Aiden said his name was Jack but I can't remember entirely.

"Jamie still has to finish her last year in sixth form," Aiden says, pulling me closer to him and I make sure the smile on my face doesn't falter. "Then we're going to start planning dates."

"So you've chosen a venue?"

"We have a few in mind," Aiden says. It's true. Since I spent the entire day off of school, Aiden and I decided to look at venues to host the wedding.

"I'm really happy for you," Jack says, holding a bottle of beer in his hand. "Didn't even realise you had a girl, but it's great news to hear you're engaged. You must be happy together, then."

"Yeah," Aiden nods, looking down at me with a smile. "She's amazing."

"So are you," I say, the faux smile on my face growing. People couldn't tell that it was faked though—Aiden, maybe, but that's because he grew up with me.

They continue to converse about all things gang related and I pretend to be interested as I swirl the alcohol that's in my red cup, looking at it absentmindedly.

My headache kept worsening and the loud music isn't helping. I let out a heavy sigh, catching the attention of Aiden.

"You okay?" He asks cautiously, his eyebrows furrowed and his face etched with concern.

"I just need the bathroom," I say, pushing past him and moving out of the crowded room. I felt like I was suffocating.

I move up the stairs, avoiding a girl that's passed out on the stairs. Her friends were all taking pictures of her, before they decided to pick her up and take her home.

The bathroom was very clearly labelled, probably so the owner didn't have to worry about people walking into bedrooms or something—I'm not sure.

The door was unlocked as I jiggle the handle and I open it up, revealing a girl in red underwear and a shirtless man stood between their legs. Her hands were tugging at his hair and, from what I could see in the mirror, his hands were squeezing her bum helplessly.

I open my mouth to apologise as they pull away, and it takes me a moment to register who it is. My heart drops for a moment as red lipstick stain Brad's swollen lips. His hands slide off of the girl's back and I realise it's Frankie.

My chest drops, and I shake my head to clear my thoughts but my vision becomes blurry. My heart was swelling in my chest, I was struggling to breathe. This is the last thing I ever wanted to see.

He's not yours anymore, remember. You made sure of that when you decided to marry Aiden.

"Sorry, I just needed to use the toilet," I say, my hand still gripping the handle tightly. Brad had moved away from Frankie to grab his shirt and button it back up.

"It's fine, we'll take this somewhere else," Frankie smiles at Brad, taking ahold of his hand once she's got her clothes. "Come on, Brad."

He lets her tug him behind her and I move to the side to let them pass, avoiding eye contact with him entirely. This is good, I say to myself. He's getting over you.