chapter twenty eight

•∞•

•∞•

4 days, 14 hours, 16 minutes, and 23 seconds later...

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

The good-morning! smile I had on froze into place.

Sparkling confetti fluttered down from the ceiling, coating my hair and shoulders in pink, orange, and sunflower yellow. The entirety of Fairy Tail stood in the narrow street of my house- all dressed up in party hats, boas, and silly tophats.

Oh god, how I hated birthdays.

"Happybirthdayhappybirthdayhappybirthday!" Lucy and Levy squeal in unison, diving forward to tackle me in a hug.

"Thanks," I say gruffly, unsure of how to proceed. However, it seemed that Fairy Tail did.

"Come on, let's go birthday girl!" the blonde winks, slipping her arm under mine. Levy grins and does the same, parading me down the steps and street. Everyone parts like we were some sort of celebrity, all wearing an equally stupid smile on their face.

"Guuuuuysss..." I whine, appreciating their sentiment, but having had completely different plans for the day. Actually, you were going to ask Natsu to teach you some surfing... which would mean you would spend the entire day with him... Until this happened.

They perched you down on a cushion on the beach, while everyone crowded around you wishing you a happy birthday. You thanked them and tried to sound happy before Mira shooed them all away and only the main members of Fairy Tail remained.

Finally, I had a chance to look around, and I laughed.

The pinnate leaves of the palm trees were tangled in hot pink streamers, balloons scattered across the sand and basking in the hot sun. In honor of the ceremony and to match with everyone else, I set a pair of glittery orange sunglasses on my nose, with excessive wings that stretched out several centimeters past my head. 

A present was tossed in front of you.

"This really isn't necessary," I mumble, voice strained. "I would've been just as happy spending a day with you guys."

"No," Mira declares. "Juvia, go ahead."

It indeed was Juvia's present- as evident by the blue wrapping with periwinkle tears printed on it. I hesitantly pulled on the ribbon, and my fingers slipped under the tape holding it together. To my surprise, a pink plush is what I see first, then button eyes, and a navy suit...

"Juvia!" I hiss, covering the present with the wrapping paper. Everyone turned their eyes on you, watching curiously as to why the present is making you so flustered. "are you insane?!"

"Juvia not insane," she replied defensively. "Juvia is trying to make you move on from my love-"

"This is not the right way to do it!" I whisper-yell, before subtly hiding the Natsu plushie behind your back. "Uhh... thanks Juvia, I'll- uh, use it every night," I babble. The bluenette beams.