chapter sixteen

•∞•

•∞•

It hits me like a smack in the face.

I immediately flinch back as if someone grabbed me from behind in utmost urgency.

"Oh. Right," I respond, unable to help myself scooting a little further away from him.

Stupid. Stupid. Why did I make a move on him? God, I should have known better. It's terrible to be rejected by a guy, but even worse to be rejected by a guy in an area you've only been in for a week. Of course he doesn't want to kiss me.  

My mind flashed back to the party. 

Oh god. I kissed him there as well. That means... if he rejected me now, why would he have wanted to kiss me then? 

He hasn't liked me, and yet I've made several advances on him. That's just... one of the stupidest things you've done (y/n), pure stupidity. Ugh! Why couldn't you just see that he didn't like you like that and just as a friend? Your head was too far up in the clouds! Don't get lost in the pretty eyes of cute boys, (y/n)!

"I was wondering where you were, you pipsqueaks. Let's go, we have work to do!"

A beam of light shines down on us, and we both groan and shield ourselves from the hot sun's afternoon rays. 

We shuffle our way up, almost tripping over our own feet, both feeling like fools. 

Natsu goes up first; unusually quiet, metal stairs creaking under him. I keep a good one meter distance between the two of us. Let's just help him and get this over with. Then you can go home and cry. Promise. 

•∞•

I wipe the sweat off my brow, taking in the polished motorcycle. 

I had painted it a navy blue that glinted in the sunlight- a rather dark color compared to the ever-sunny surroundings, but those were my instructions.

I glanced over at a hunched Natsu, scrubbing thoughtlessly at a windshield. I tear my eyes away from him, and his tank top that stuck to the sweat of his body, the pink hair to his forehead, the parted lips...

Stupid boys. Stupid brotherhood- or bachelorhood, whatever it was. 

But most of all: stupid (y/n). 

"Wow, nice work (y/n)!" Makarov beamed, staring at the motorcycle that I had given a makeover to. "I'm impressed." 

I thanked him. I'd enjoyed my time here- I really did- but I wanted to go back to my 145a in Begonia Street. 

"I think you can be done for the day," he encouraged, grinning up at me. "Natsu, you two! You've done some good work, so you can go as well. Of course, you can stay a bit longer... but I don't want to force anything on you." 

"That's alright Gramps!" Natsu smiles that heartbreaking grin again, and my eyes move to the floor as my mind goes back to hours ago. My cheeks heat up in embarrassment. Never again. "I can stay here and finish the job."  

"I'll go then. Thanks for having me... Gramps." 

His eyes twinkle under the garage roof. 

"Oh, wait (y/n)!" he calls behind me as I move away. "shouldn't Natsu be bringing you back home? Be a gentleman for once, please." 

"No, no it's fine!" I laugh. "I know my way. See you later!" 

I skip down the road quickly, avoiding arguments. Behind me, I leave heaps of dust floating through the air with every smack of my hero against the ground. The sun was just above the horizon, sending a poppy red glow across the tropical houses of Laguna Beach. 

Makarov turns to Natsu, glowering at him like a father to a son. "Young man, what did you say to her?" 

•∞•

I plunk down on my bed, moaning. 

"Stupid (y/n), stupid (y/n), stupid (y/n)..." I groaned, emphasizing every '(y/n)' with a smash of my head into my sheets. "stupid, stupid (y/n)..."

I really liked this boy- and I fucked it all up. 

As if an angel descended from heaven to save me from my emotional distress, my phone dinged with the arrival of a text message. 

Lu 

Want to come with us to the beach tomorrow?🏄‍♀️🏖

🕚 At 11? 🕚

You pondered. Honestly, you wanted to stay in all day and just think back to every thrilling, laugh-inducing conversation you had with Natsu- and cry over each one with ice cream and Netflix open. 

You

sure

sounds fun

Lu

Coolio!👍

🌞👙Don't forget you're bathing suit and sun screen!👙🌞

You

do i have to bring a bathing suuuuuuuit

Lu

Yep. 

I mean you can walk around naked. 

I'm sure the guys will like that 😜  

You

LUCY HEARTFILIA

THAT IS DISGUSTING

Lu

🤷‍♀️

You

ugggggh

fiiiiine

I moan in disdain, yet again. How will I avoid Natsu and sulk if he'll be there as well? Not to mention... I'll be half-naked, and he will be too, and that shit is awkward as fuck- 

Ding. 

I pick up my phone in curiosity- who is texting me? I instantly push away the happy lilt that the thought of a certain guy being the culprit. 

Mira

I'm glad you're coming, sweetie.

I'll introduce you to the rest of the Fairy Tail members! 

Wow, Lucy spreads the word around fast. 

You

ah, id like that! thank you! 

im sure ill enjoy the beautiful beaches here :)

Mira

With the wonderful weather, definitely 😊

ive changed your hometown from LA to crocus!! i dont know why i did LA in the first place, but I think i don't want anything to be based on actual ethnicity. im not american, and im sure some of you arent either, which is why i changed it. 

i hope you enjoyed the update!