chapter twenty six

•∞•

•∞•

It was another beach day for Fairy Tail. 

They had the beach all to themselves- of course, which wasn't unusual. When the other residents of Laguna Beach saw Fairy Tail on the horizon, marching down the pebbled streets, they scatter as if they are part of the mafia. 

But that wasn't on Natsu's mind right now. 

"Isn't she pretty though?" Natsu says, eyes on the humming (y/n). She was sitting with Levy and Lucy in the shade, hidden away from sight. They were secretively whispering among themselves, at least Levy and Lucy were, but the pinkette was too far gone in daydreams to notice. 

He also failed to notice his fangirls peeking through some bushes, taking photos of his barely dressed state. 

"I guess," Laxus grumbles, smearing away the perspiration from his beer glass. "not really my type. I prefer my women to be a little more mature, and more on the... elegant side?"

"What do you mean, (y/n)'s not elegant or mature?" Natsu mumbles, too busy staring at the laughing girl to make his tone sound accusing. "jesus, she's beautiful."

"Beauty in the eyes of the beholder," Freed mumbles, gulping down a sip from his Sprite.

"Okay Shakespeare, thanks for your input." 

•∞•

The girl Natsu was admiring, however, was out of her mind worried. 

"I don't know... it's so much work, you know. All these business plans and financial issues... I'm not experienced in that at all. And how would I get the money?" Levy says sadly, and the blonde places a comforting hand on her shoulder. 

I checked my phone again and tried to suppress the feeling of Lucy not mentioning anything about yesterday. 

I had given Rogue my number, in case he needed help with anything. 

Yet, for the last couple hours, he hadn't contacted me at all. Not a whisper, as if he disappeared off the front of the Earth. 

I bite my lip. It would be okay... to send a quick message, right? To check in if everything was okay? If he was entertained, and how his injury is doing... Yes. Of course, it would be, it's proper courtesy to check in on a wounded man's health. 

(y/n)

hey

everything going okay? if your wound hurts, there are pain meds in the second cabinet to the right of the oven

[2:34 PM]

I groan. Did I sound too motherly? 

Rogue

I am fine. Thank you.

[2:34 PM] 

I laugh a bit too myself. I should have expected this, right? Very formal, and quick to answer. Sounds like him. 

(y/n)

alright

dont hesitate to call if you need anything

Rogue

I will. Thank you.

[2:35 PM]

With that bit more reassurance, I join the girls' conversation. 

"Well, Levy," I jump in, grinning. "when it comes to the papers, I think I can help with a great deal of that, having an office job and all..." 

She squeals in return, throwing herself forward to engulf me in a warm hug. I laugh. 

"Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou-"

"Alright, I'll check that off our list," the blonde hums happily, pulling out a piece of paper and a neon pink pen. "Natsu can help with designing and painting, being the artistic genius he is-"

"-without realizing it-"

"-without realizing it," she agrees. "before we get into layout and all, we need to decide on a location and try to find a place to buy. Maybe we can ask Gajeel for some tips? He knows the town inside and out..." 

I nod, yet Levy looks hesitant. "Guys... I need to tell you something about me and him." 

Lucy and I look at each other. "Don't worry, we already know." 

She took a deep breath and exhaled it through her plump lips. "No, I really, really, need to tell you guys something."

Worry buzzed at my mind. It jumped from the immediate question of her emotional state; 'are you okay?' to something like 'are you dying because you formed an allergy against water and can't rehydrate yourself?'

"Guys...

I'm dating Gajeel."

...

"Yeah, we know."

"What?!" she screeches. Me and Lucy cup our ears to protect them from the high-pitched scream, leaning back into the burning sand.

"Jesus, woman! No need to make us deaf!"

"How do you guys know? I never said anything!" panic appeared in her eyes, hands slapping against her cheeks. "I swear me and Gajeel were trying to hide it... I guess the fighting wasn't convincing enough? Maybe I should actually hit him with a book next time?"

"Woah, slow down," I put my hands on her shoulders in an attempt to bring her back to reality. "no harming the books."

Lucy was snickering behind her hand but quickly stopped with a glare from the usually sweet Levy. 

"But... how do you guys know?"

"Hey, it's not my fault you're shitty at keeping your hands off each other," I shrug. "Lucy caught y'all doing the dirty-"

"N-no we didn't!" she cuts me off quickly, turning bright red. She glares at me, and I grin behind my hand. 

"Nah, you guys are just bad at hiding it, especially to the girls," I reply honestly. 

"Oh, it's all because of that stupid brotherhood," Levy whispers. True hurt appears in her eyes. "I swear, he keeps putting his pride before me. I mean (y/n)- you have a thing for Natsu. How do you feel when they boast about being bachelors despite the constant attention of girls they get?" 

I blush, despite it all. But Levy was right- it felt absolutely terrible. My mind flashes back to the garage incident. On the other hand, Natsu openly said he wanted to hang out with me. 

"I'm so sorry girls, but we need to get rid of it," Lucy declares firmly. "we are already a family within Fairy Tail. Why are we in need of a brotherhood?" 

"Well, or we could take another route," I susurrate, and Lucy and Levy gulp as a calculating, merciless mask appears on my face. "How about a sisterhood?" 

"Absolutely fucking not."

"Agreed. Let's not fight fire with fire," Levy adds. 

"Oh come on!" I moan, but I was shut up by heated looks from the two girls. 

"Let's be real here," I start again. "that brotherhood of theirs- it's going to fall apart eventually. At our hands, or their own."