Chapter 8

Chapter 8

     I stepped into the dormitory and looked around for Lily, only to find four girls watching me. It was quite unnerving and I shifted uncomfortably. Lily seemed to read my mind and coughed rather loudly, turning the attention to her.

     "So..." she said nervously, obbviously just as wary of the attention as I was. "This is our new dormmate, Luna Thomas." The eyes turned back to me.

     The three unknown girls sat there, still staring and taking in every aspect of my appearance. I was feeling extremely self-conscious. Is it all because I look so much like Lily? I asked myself. Probably, but I wasn't sure what to do.

     It felt like ages until, finally, the girl farthest to my left stood up, a kind smile on her face. Her iron-straight black tresses hung past her shoulders and her blue eyes shone happily.

     "Marlene McKinnon." she announced, introducing herself. "Also known as Lily's best friend since first year and mediator between the Gryffindor girls of the graduating class of 1979 and the Marauders, those four idiotic blokes in our year." she grinned, holding out her heand. I shook it and felt a bit happier. Her smile seemed to light up the room.

     The girl to Marlene's left stood up next, shyly looking up at me through her blonde eyelashes. "Hi." she whispered, looking nervous in my presence. "My name is Ellie DeMaries." I shook her hand and she sat back down on the edge of what I assumed was her bed.

     Lily sent a hard look at the last girl in the "lineup". The girl's sany-brown hair had bleach-blonde highlights and looked highly stylized; she also had (in my opinion) far too much makeup on. Her dark hazel eyes met Lily's steadily, narrowed in dislike or distaste, which one it was I didn't know. A minute or so of awkward silence passed through the room. I looked to Ellie and Marlene for advice, but they were watching the staring contest, glaring at the back of the last girl's head.

     Eventually the brown-haired girl blinked and broke the connection between herself and Lily with a look of loathing. She ran her gaze up and down my body, as though she was a judge in a muggle fair examining one of the showing animals. "Valarie Laurence." she said shortly, neglecting to offer me her hand as she stalked out of the dormitory. I followed her with my eyes until she was out of sight, then turned back to Lily, Marlene and Ellie.

     "Why-"

    "Laurence is a git." Marlene quipped, glaring at the door where Valarie had disappeared. "A ruddy git."

     "Honestly Marlene, language." Lily reprimanded, a disapproving look on her face. She turned back to me. "She's just jealous." the red haired girl said, rolling her eyes and turning to her own bed. "And is what most people would call 'stuck up'. Her entire family has been in Slytherin, including her two older brothers, and she only hangs out with their friends and girlfriends. We never really see her in the dormitory except at night, and even then she's not here sometimes.

     "From what we've heard, she attends the parties in the Slytherin Common Room, which usually go past midnight. That's why her grades are so low. She gets up before anyone else and goes to bed after everyone's already asleep. She never does her homework, but gets some of the Slytherins to do it for her. Actually, I was pretty surprised she was even up here to meet you. We hardly ever see her except for classes." She sighed, laying back on her matress.

     "But why's she jealous? I asked, looking to Marlene and Ellie.

     "She didn't get prefect." Ellie said, a shadow over her face and her dark tone surprising me (as I had thought she was a bit timid and meek).

     "Lily did. Nearly everyone in her family has been a prefect and Head Boy or Girl. Her oldest brother, Austin, got Head Boy when he was here two years ago. Her other brother, Jordan, got prefect last year, and she thought she'd be next in line. Thankfully, Miss Evans over there," she jerked a thumb to Lily where she was sprawled on the bed. "beat her to the prize. Ever since then she's been getting worse and has been treating the Gryffindors more and more like scum, even if she's the real scum around here!"

     I blinked once and just stared at the blonde girl, surprised by the amount she had spoken. She had appeared quiet and reserved at first glance, but it seemed that all my thoughts about this girl were false. She turned back to her bed, whether she was not noticing my stare or ignoring it I didn't know. I glanced over at Marlene, then Lily; both were holding back giggles.

     "That's Ellie for you." Marlene mouther silently, still struggling to hold back laughter at the confused look on my face. The three of us watched Ellie go to the bathroom and as soon as the door had closed behind her Marlene let out a loud laugh. Lily joined in after a moment and I just smiled broadly. Despite the time difference and lack of my closest friends and family, I figured I would fit in well with my grandmother and her friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally a chapter!!!! Hallelujah!!! Sorry again for the lack of updating, but I started school this past Tuesday and finished up Segment One of Drivers Training!!! :D I get my permit on Monday!!! (Or tomorrow, we're not sure yet...) ;) Anyway, thanks for all the comments and stuff!!! :D Love you readers!

Hope you enjoy!! Please tell me your thoughts on this chapter and I will try to have the next one up soon!!! I'm already halfway through the next chapter and so it should be up sometime next week.

Again, thanks for reading!!! :D

~Megan <3